IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry all for the post but I searched but could not find info on making your own descender. A few years a go a guy made one with a lip gripper and weight and rope. Does any one know where I can find that. Thank You all.

·
Premium Member
17,205 Posts
I'm all for DIY stuff, but the $50 I spent on the deep water model of the Seaqualizer was some of the best spent money for fishing. Everyone on board can operate it with ease and it flat out works.
I got one of the Seaqualizers at the SSS a couple years ago. Much better than the Shelton descender. For some reason the sticky point of the Shelton always found one of my fingers after penetrating the fish's bottom lip. Also if you had much freeboard the fish would fall off when trying to lower it back into the water. They work, but both the Seaqualizer and fish grips are easier to use.

·
Registered
14,723 Posts
A doryman "celebrity" was fishing with me a few years back and needed to descend a fish. I pointed him to my home made descender. A 12 oz jig head with barb filed off and a 2 lb weight added to it. A loop of dacron around the bend of the hook and a duo snap. I used it for years. Very quick and easy.

I heard "Oops" from over my shoulder and he reeled up his empty line.

I dug around. Found another 2 lb ball, connected it to a 10/0 hook with the barb pinched flat. A loop of line and duo snap on the bend of the hook. I used that one for years. With stuff I had on board.

I now have a seaqualizer, but on a boat thats close to the water, setting the barbless hook in the jaw and letting go with the the reel out of gear and clicker on works very slick and easy. $.02

Like this.

Reactions: gar

·
Registered
218 Posts
A doryman "celebrity" was fishing with me a few years back and needed to descend a fish. I pointed him to my home made descender. A 12 oz jig head with barb filed off and a 2 lb weight added to it. A loop of dacron around the bend of the hook and a duo snap. I used it for years. Very quick and easy.

I heard "Oops" from over my shoulder and he reeled up his empty line.

I dug around. Found another 2 lb ball, connected it to a 10/0 hook with the barb pinched flat. A loop of line and duo snap on the bend of the hook. I used that one for years. With stuff I had on board.

I now have a seaqualizer, but on a boat thats close to the water, setting the barbless hook in the jaw and letting go with the the reel out of gear and clicker on works very slick and easy. $.02

Like this.

I use a similar technique...or even simpler. Just tie a line to the bend of a hook of a 12-16oz jig head, barb filed down.
Much cheaper than a Seaqulizer, and easier on the wallet when you lose one to a snaggy bottom.

·
Registered
14,723 Posts
I use a similar technique...or even simpler. Just tie a line to the bend of a hook of a 12-16oz jig head, barb filed down.
Much cheaper than a Seaqulizer, and easier on the wallet when you lose one to a snaggy bottom.
The problem with that is it won’t sink a 12 lb yelloweye. I used the jig head and added 2 lbs. gets it done quicker

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
boatman63 - I am glad that you will be using a descender device. It is possible to make one. The principles are basic, however OCEAN ( the Oregon Coalition for Educating ANglers) will send you a descender device for FREE if you simply send us your mailing address. Along with the descender the packet will include a laminated fish ID card, a long leader ID card info and some other things. Go to:
www.oceaned.org

·
Registered
524 Posts
boatman63 - I am glad that you will be using a descender device. It is possible to make one. The principles are basic, however OCEAN ( the Oregon Coalition for Educating ANglers) will send you a descender device for FREE if you simply send us your mailing address. Along with the descender the packet will include a laminated fish ID card, a long leader ID card info and some other things. Go to:
www.oceaned.org
Just requested one. I'm going to give it to a friend who I suspect isn't very good about descending fish. Hopefully he'll use it if it's onboard his boat. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Like Jim I'm using a broken rod for descending. I have mine paired with a partially working electric reel(meter doesn't work), with 100' and 150' marked on the line. Rod/reel stays in the holder all day, doesn't get in the way and makes descending a quick/easy process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts