IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Yea Bill, I'm here. Not sure where!

Ah, Lingcod cheeks. Halibut cheeks! Great stuff. As far as I am concerned that's the best part of a Ling or Halibut. A lot of other folks feel the same way but not all. Too me it's the texture difference, not the flavor. They all taste like Lawry’s Garlic Salt anyway. :wink: Cheeks kind of have a stringy more firm texture.

I don't feel Salmon cheeks are as good as the ling or halibut and they are much smaller proportionately. A 24" just legal ling has larger cheeks than a 30lb. chinook.

My favorite way to cook cheeks is to season them with your favorite seasoning salt then place them in a bowl of bread crumbs. Shake them around a bit to get them coated and place them on a dry plate (I usually use paper plates). Put an adequate amount of cooking oil in a pan and get the oil real hot and then add the cheeks. The trick is to get the oil hot before you add the cheeks. I use an electric stove and usually cook them at 4 or 4&1/2. Brown on one side (approx. 2 minutes or until golden brown) and then turn and brown the other side. You're in for a treat!

Lingcod cheeks are so different that I often times cook them up with eggs over easy and home fries for breakfast. Enjoy them as much that way as I do sausage.

Over the years when I have taken them up to Brad's, both his and my young daughters have referred to them as nuggets. Have not yet to find anybody that didn't like them.

When it comes to bread crumbs, I use Progresso Plain bread crumbs. I do not use the Italian, low fat, Ranch, BBQ, Organic or whatever they have to offer these days.

I do my razor clams the same way these days except I do not use any seasoning and fry them in butter. (Low fat, low cholesterol). :grin: Have not had a complaint on my razors anywhere either.

Dan

Day 5

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
A few of you mentioned smoked cheeks. Sounds interesting and I never thought of that one. I do prefer most seafood cooked by conventional methods over smoked myself. Fried cheeks are sooooo good it would be hard to do them any other way.

I liked chinarider's idea of BBQ'ing on skewers and am going to have to try that method. :cheers:

I did try them in Italion pasta (probably spaghetti) before and didn't like to well. I'll bet they would be good cooked in cream of mushroom soup as rockfish are.

A tip to charter boat customers:

Most charter boat fish fileters don't automatically cut your cheeks out for you (with the exception of halibut cheeks). They don't want to take the small amount of extra time to cut them out. :hoboy: I would demand them to remove the cheeks for you. Even a just barely legal ling (24") has cheeks large enough to enjoy and make it worth while. I have often gone in later and cheeked the ones they didn't and some times end up with a bag of cheeks as large as the bag of filets the average customer took home! :grin: A 15# ling or larger has a substantial amount of cheek meat.

Glad this thread came up. I think I will go down and salvage some cheeks from the charter fish now! :wink:

:dance: :dance:

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Score! :wink:

76 cheeks!

The next pic shows a size comparison with a quarter and half dollar. The larger ones were from the tug trip (approx. 15-17# lings) with the exception of one big one caught inshore.

The last pic is of them inside my shop on my electronic scale. 4.92 pounds of cheeks. :dance:

Bill, if you see this in time, email me. I will be going through Oregon City tomorrow/today (Easter Sunday) on my way to Vancouver and Longview. I have plenty to spare and you can try out some of the above mentioned recipes.

Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.