IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20’ NR Seahawk, 2005 model. Would like to put a fish box in the floor. large Enough for fall chinook and perhaps removable when I am lucky enough to have something fishy in it. Suggestions on what others have done and how much?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I recall seeing a post in last 6 months about someone that had insulated kill bag custom made to fit in floor fish box. I love the idea, just need to pull trigger on boat with large fishbox.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
If you have one built out of aluminum, make sure it is totally separated from the hull. Don't weld it in, insulate all sides and lid, make it a drop in or bolt on with seam tape around the edges where attached to prevent the heat transfer. If permanent use a gulper pump, otherwise a couple good handles or big centered handle to remove. Rigid closed cell pink foam board works well with foil ducting tape but keep solvents like gasoline away from it as it melts that foam.

Custom made kill bag liners are nice but you still have to remove and clean them and the surrounding area each trip or you'll have stench. A permanent one with gulper pump is nice to just rinse/pump out but you still have to remove all the fish instead of pulling a bag or removable box out.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I would recommend going with a mounted cooler instead of an in floor fish box. This was an upgrade I went for when I had my second Seahawk made. I have a Yeti that straps to the floor with Yeti factory straps and mounting brackets. Coolers keep ice and fish cold much longer and is much easier to clean.. Then when yo get to the dock or home, you simple unload the cooler. no extra cleaning necessary.. you can also add factory rod holders and cushion it soo it acts as a bench..

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I went to econo sales in Springfield and got sheets of 1/2 inch thick 5 ft. wide flexible closed cell foam and lined the in floor box with that
2 layers on the bottom / a side wrap and 2 layers to cover the ice.
Stops the ice from touching any aluminum ( ice that touches aluminum will melt almost right away )
Also use it in one of the transom boxes to store frozen bait for the day. you can put a bag of ice in the transom box with your bait and it will last 2 days
Works great the foam rinses right off and is easy to put in and out

Reactions: ccw

·
Registered
399 Posts
The thing I like about mine is that it it not permanent
the sheets are flexible ( you can roll them up ) I just pull them out and rinse off

·
Registered
321 Posts
Personally, I am a big KllBag fan.
I plugged the fish box on my SuperVee Pro, and turned it into storage.
Fish first go into a bleed bucket, then into the Killbag with ice.
Easier to clean, less smell, and when the day is done, the fish is much easier to transport - just grab the bag.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I use a large cooler. Not a Yeti. An Igloo Marine cooler. May not keep for 5 days, but will keep ice all day and for the outside dimensions, has more inside room.
My large igloo is a live well too, holds fish, lunch and storage. I use a coffee can and fill it, run the small pump inside with a cig lighter plug and as I catch larger fish I toss smaller one back in water. Every two hours I will drain it partially and fill again, insulation keeps water temp pretty stable inside, cost was 100$ for cooler and pump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts