IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes, my expectations are high.
The kill bag does does a simple job in carrying a fish or two and keeping ice for a few hours, but I need ice cold fish for like 48 hours in a bag that fits in my boat deck storage.

We will get there...the yeti bags are actually great, just not fish shaped.
I'd never heard of reliable fish bags but I'll look into those!

·
Registered
890 Posts
fish bags rock! Love the couple that I have. Use them in my sled a lot and they take up much less space than a hard cooler. Still have some big igloos, coho cooler and two medium sized yetis. Use em all for different stuff.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The old saying "You Get What You Pay For" definitely comes to mind when it comes to kill bags. I've got two of the cheapO's. Do they keep ice for any extended length of time, Nope! But they do keep fish cold after bleeding with a couple 8lb bags of ice or a 5 gal. bucket of salted. Ice usually last until I'm done fishing. I am definitely moving up to Reliable bag before Springers. #1 on my Christmas list. Secondly, the cheap bags at the end of their life due to leakage make great tote bags, carry my thermos, lunch, bag with wallet, sunglasses case and miscellaneous extra stuff in one place instead of scattered around the boat. Lots of good and bad bags out there just need to do the research to find the one that meets you needs.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I’ve only used reliable. It will hold ice for 48 hours like you want. Get one bigger than you need.
+1 they are worth the$$ Order them right from the manufacturer. I have spoken with him when there was a problem with my order. He was out of stock on the one I ordered. He called me and offered me the next size up for a discount. That large bag holds 300# of ice for days.

ronogg (smells like fish)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've yet to buy a kill bag but hate the space my large cooler takes in the boat, so I've been pondering buying one. That's mostly a Fall Chinook issue. For springers, steelhead, and coho, I've found a solution that works. On those trips I bring a styrofoam fish cooler I picked up at a sushi place down the way. They get shipped Atlantic salmon in those and generally toss them afterwards. They work perfect for fish up to 15 lbs and weigh a fraction of the weight of a traditional cooler, take up way less space but still keep ice all day. And they can handle 3 or 4 fish. I drilled a few large holes in each end to run a loop of 3/4" rope for handles and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
39,682 Posts
Problem with large hard coolers it it takes two hands to carry them, empty or full. With a bag, you throw the straps over your shoulder and you have two hands to carry other stuff. If the bag is heavy and full, there's a handle at each end for two people. That leaves one free hand for each person to carry other junk.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I looked into kill bags a couple years ago but just couldn’t get by the price they want for something nice that’s going to work and last for years. It would be great to have something that takes up less deck space to put fish in, but we opted for a Coleman extreme 6 that we can slip in and out of the Cuddy cabin easily and keep our limited aft deck space clear. The Coleman ice chest is light weight and holds 40# of ice for 5 days, and didn’t cost a bloody fortune. We just transfer the fish at the end of the day with heavy mill garbage bags and it works just fine getting them to the fish cleaning station. Wash the garbage bags, and repeat.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I use my live well. Add 3 frozen milk jugs from Costco (tough plastic). Bleed the fish with the plugged pulled. Install plug. Add just enough water to cover the fish. That fish is ice cold when I get home a few hours later.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
It does seem like for quality molded coolers it’s tough to find one that’s longer but not to tall. They all seem to gain burger with length. I have ozark from Wally World I love I just wish they sold one the same height but 12” longer.

I got a reliable 24x48” this summer and have been using it lately. It’s really nice how easy it is for to get off the boat and I can put it out of the way more easily in the boat. But hard sided coolers are easier to get in and out of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fish bags suck. They're terrible at keeping ice.

We need a custom shaped rotomolded fish cooler. The giant sized coolers work, but they're too tall!

Anyone know of longer, not so tall cooler?
I only found two large coolers that might fit under my pickup cover ( approx. 20” tall) and were to true interior size. One wax drift sun and the other was Cordova. Cordova had 128 qt. Bi Mart had Cordova cooler. I didn’t realize many coolers size are specified by their outside dimensions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fish bags suck. They're terrible at keeping ice.

We need a custom shaped rotomolded fish cooler. The giant sized coolers work, but they're too tall!

Anyone know of longer, not so tall cooler?
We had great luck with a fish bag and three bags of ice on Saturday. Our three keeper sturgeon were chilled to the core when we got home at 3:30pm. All were caught before noon. The big problem was lifting them out of the boat.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I never did but your supposed to treat the inside of your Reliable fish bag to water proof it.I never fully read the instructions.That’s a heads up if your like me.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Bought my reliable in 2013. 9 seasons. It's not for long term cooling but it's works great to have in the boat and hold your catch cold for the day. Leaks a little water from the seams but sounds like I was supposed to waterproof it?

I've had to have a new zipper installed and multiple drain plugs until I figured out I need to just put in a boat drain plug in it.

There are a few spots starting to wear on the outside material where it has been drug or where it has this weird bend in the middle.

Anyways all that to say I'll be buying a new one when this one finally gives out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I never did but your supposed to treat the inside of your Reliable fish bag to water proof it.I never fully read the instructions.That’s a heads up if your like me.
Got the instructions? I'd like to see it. Was looking on their site and saw this:

"Because our bags are sewn/stitched, they are not designed to be 100% water tight. You may have some water that leaks at the bottom corners; but, having a little leakage is best for the long term purpose of your catch."

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
No, large, bulky coolers suck and rob valuable floor space on most 22’ and under boats. I stopped using ice chests in the boat years ago and haven’t looked back.

The only way to make ice chests even WORSE is to make them even HEAVIER and more expen$ive like the roto molded ones.

CW

Reactions: AndyR

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Roto molded coolers are great, as long as you don't plan on moving it after you fill it. My 120 Kong fits nicely in the front of my boat, and keeps the bow down when under power. It should, as it weights as much as an adult. 😄

After reading the many positive reviews of quality kill bags, perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to MY Fish Bag Sucks, @Jaunty. Definitely check out Reliable bags.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
We have a few of the big Boone bags. They don’t leak other than the zipper. They are plenty strong as long as you don’t try to pick them up when full. They are about the size of a 160qt, but hold a few more fish. They fold up for storage so that’s nice. And even when full they fit on odd shaped places unlike a hard cooler, so that’s helpful.
Ive seen guys hoist full Reliable bags by the straps without issue.

Seems soft coolers have their place, just have to figure out if that’s for you.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts