IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fish bags suck. They're terrible at keeping ice.

We need a custom shaped rotomolded fish cooler. The giant sized coolers work, but they're too tall!

Anyone know of longer, not so tall cooler?

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I don’t think bags are supposed to keep the fish in them very long. Use a big cooler with lots of ice for that.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
1,977 Posts
also, mine will keep 20-40lb of cubed ice for 24hr+ - way more time than I ever need it to.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My Calcultta kill bag keeps ice frozen about as well as my fridge's "crisper" keeps vegetables fresh. That is to say, not at all. Still better than hanging my fish off a rope over the side...but not by much.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I have kept ice in my reliable bag for up to 2 days, and this was in the sun for a few hours. Kill bags are not created equally...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Love my Reliable, does its job. Is it a Rotomold cooler? No, but I don't expect it to be one either. My reliable does much better than my buddies WPS, i will say that.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
One buddy has a Calcutta, another has a WPS, and they both like my reliable way more. It sucks, because that means I gotta use mine even when they have their own.

·
Premium Member
22,287 Posts
My son comandeered an orange (go Beavers!) fish bag I bought at the outdoor show and he loves it...forced me into the Reliable (said brer fox from the briar patch)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a WPS and have been impressed with it thus far..but its not a cooler so I don't have yeti expectations for a bag...SMH

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I tried using my Kong cooler for fish once, but it literally began freezing it where the ice was against the skin. That damn cooler works too well. 🥶

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'd rather have a bag that didn't leak over a bag that held ice for a long period of time. Picked up a Boone kill bag recently. Not great for holding ice but not a drop leaked in the boat.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I asked Smak plastics about custom boxes once and not to speak for him but basically said the price to build a one off would be prohibitively expensive.

It would be interesting to know what problems your having with your kill bags. As others have said, I can load mine with ice the afternoon before tuna fishing and still have 80% of it left when I get back from fishing the next day and toss it all because I over estimated my ability to catch fish.

For my fish boxes, I had WPS build custom liners for my last boat and on my current boat I made custom liners for a fraction of the cost. (WPS were a lot nicer and better built than mine.) In both cases I can load ice Friday afternoon, fish all weekend and still have 30-40% of the ice left Sunday afternoon. That’s with putting fish in, taking fish out, opening the door each time etc.

For what you are after you have a few options to explore if kill bags or liners aren’t your thing-

Have someone insulate your fish boxes by building a smaller box that goes inside the bigger box and putting insulation between the boxes. This eats up storage space pretty quickly. The other route is to insulate the outside of the fish box if you have access to it.

Build a custom insulated box inside your box. Every time I’ve thought about that it prices out as as much or more than liners and seems like a giant pain to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39,669 Posts
Funny thing... A couple of weeks ago I was asked, do those things really work? My response, if they didn't work, I wouldn't use one. Can't believe how some folks have never caught on. Really.....

·
Registered
12,443 Posts
I'm one that hasn't "caught on". To me, kill bags are yet another solution to a problem that doesn't exsist, unless you need to bag a big Bluefin, Marlin or Dorado. I'm sure they work, but I don't need one. Maybe if I caught more fish, I'd feel different. I had one of the orange ones, go Beavers. I bought it in 2019. It kept fish plenty cold, but after a couple uses it leaked cold slime in the boat and stunk no matter how much I cleaned it. I sold it for a great price to someone that doesn't mind a stinky, leaky ice bag. I went back to a nice 100 qt. Igloo ice chest I bought 7 years ago for about $70 at Costco. It cleans way easier than the bag and works as a seat or lunch table. It's not as on trend as the bag but nothing about me in on trend.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts