IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow from work and I went to the Wind river today. It was my first trip.

I was impressed by how many boats complete strangers could cram into a very small area and still remain civil. Most were even friendly.

The fishing was poor. My work-mate and erstwhile guide said " well these other boats seem to have the occasional fish and we've seen a few caught" . Yeah, we had seen a few caught, I had counted about 150 boats and had seen 8 fish caught. Not a high percentage by even a fisherman's standards. Most of the fish were in the 8-12 lb. class with one 22.

It was the first time on the Columbia with my new boat (18' Alumaweld/175 SJ ) and I was especially impressed with the kicker (8hp 2strk Merc) which trolled for almost 8 hrs the first day on 1 1/2 gal of fuel. By the way, for those of you who track these sorts of things I ran the big motor for a little over an hour at speed and burned 5.6 gal.

Spent Sun. and Mon. fishing hard and threw everything we had at them with no success. Most folks were using orange and pink Warts and prawn spinners (they must all be members of ifish) with what success there was, equally divided.

Enjoyed dinner and breakfast (I let up on my diet, why go fishing if you can't do that?) and the motel in Stevenson is comfortable.

All in all a great learning trip. I don't think I'll being going again just because of the crowded conditions. I could be wrong but it seems that main stem from the powerlines to The Dalles would provide more room and there should be plenty of fish.

I will try the Cathlamet area next year but for this year the salmon are moving up toward Ocean Shores and Westport. The opener is Jun 22nd on the ocean and should be red hot. :wink:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
CorkyKing..... the orange warts at the Wind pre-date Ifish....

and they still pick up fish, wonder why? :wink:

·
Registered
491 Posts
150? that is not too terribly crowded for that area.probably hardly anyone there.i have fished it there when there was at least 300boats there and seen about 4 fish get caught.you can just about see everyone except around the corner.good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts