IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the answer in the following scenario?

Youth has never applied for any hunt in that series.
Youth applies as part of a party hunt. The party doesn't draw 1st choice, but gets their second pick.

1. Does the youth lose out on the opportunity for First Time Hunt tag?
2. Do they get a preference point?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I don't believe him hunting mentored on your tag will disqualify him from the first time program. Something to think about while strategizing to maximize his opportunities. Also, I would suggest putting him in for a mega-hard draw for his first choice so he can get a point and then apply for his first time. Steens is on the first time list :cool:

Edit: And just to be clear, don't put him in for a second choice.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, there are no 2nd choice hunts.
While I would like to put him into a mega-hard draw, I don't have a truck or trailer to give me the liberty to take him all over the state. Right or wrong, I'd like him to have opportunity, but also build hunting relationships with his grandpa, and uncle. His cousins went to the dark side and want to play sports or sling sticks at game. (archery)

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Yes, there are no 2nd choice hunts.
While I would like to put him into a mega-hard draw, I don't have a truck or trailer to give me the liberty to take him all over the state. Right or wrong, I'd like him to have opportunity, but also build hunting relationships with his grandpa, and uncle. His cousins went to the dark side and want to play sports or sling sticks at game. (archery)
This is what we did for my boys when they were younger....look for a hunt that would be the dream hunt and apply...when they didnt get it we had the first time hunt already planned out. We would spread them out to keep them engaged in at least having a hunt a year. Mentor tags are great as well and we used them too. When they aged out of youth hunts they had plenty of points as they never did draw the youth hunts we were hoping for and that carried them for another couple years of hunting.
They are 20 now and in the same boat as the rest of us....I dont have any complaints for the youth programs or youth prices.[/QUOTE]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts