IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went drifting down the Alsea last weekend with my Son Erik (Fishslayer), his best bud Jake (Dahs_boardfisherman), and my wife Donna (aye catch). Beautiful day even if the boat was kind of heavy and hard to control, one of Da boy's is gettin' big! Both of these guys are getting up to 15 yrs old and have had plenty of fish clobbering experience with salmon, sturgeon, halibut and the like; just haven't had the time to chase steelhead too.

Well steelheading gets going pretty good this winter and the boys see ALL the posts with the pretty pictures of steelhead being held up high and man 'o man they get the chromer fever in a bad way!! All I'm hearing is "when can we go steelhead fishing??" I tell them we'll wait until March when the crowds thin out a bit. In the meantime Erik decides to learn how to make spinners and jigs to add to the arsenal of plugs we already have. We run up to fisherman's shack in Suver and drop about 85 bucks on tyin' and twistin' supplies and Erik gets to work. Must have twisted up 50 spinners and tied up 25 jigs or so. I think we're covered now!

OK, now we FINALLY get to go fishing. Jake and Donna are up front, I'm on the sticks and Erik is behind me. Start off running 3 plugs out the front and Erik is throwing a bobber and jig around off the back. Plug rod goes down but doesn't stick. Next up is Erik with his jig. He hollers Fish On and I see this flash go screaming down river towards the plugs. Everyone else starts reeling on a plug rod, had one cross up but Erik skillfully extacted the fishie from the predicament. Dropped the hook and Erik played it to the boat like a pro and right into the net comes the treasure! Nice 8# keeper :grin:

Yeehaw, get to bonk a fish! wait a minute, nothing to bonk with. We end up using two rod holder mounts to deliver a couple of precision blows and get a good death quiver. Right on! it's picture time! I grab the prize by the gills and plunge it into the water for a good rinse for the photo shoot. As soon as that thing hit the water it started thrashing and you guessed it, away it goes belly up heading for the bottom. I make a grab elbow deep and miss, then grab the net and just barely got it before it sank from view. WHEW! Thankfully the net was close and not hung up on anything. Fish was good and clean now and I pithed it to be sure!

We saw quite a few fish, some not so pretty, some super chrome. I actually went 0 for 4 on a bobber / jig. Had 2 of them right to the net, both nice bright keepers. Jig hook kind of straightened out, hmmm. Pretty sure I wasn't horseing on it. I don't care, my son got his steelhead on equiptment he made and rigged on his own. Jake and Donna both got a goose egg for the day, well except for the incidental kamikaze trout, which of course didn't really count.

I am so proud of these two young men. They have embraced fishing and have become obssessed with it like so many of us. When they get together they are out in the garage tying up leaders or something to that effect rather than hanging out on the curb or playing video games all the time or much, much worse. I have friends and family whose kids don't have something in their lives to motivate them like fishing has my boyz. These other kids are flunking school, running away from home, smoking dope, etc at 14 - 15 yrs old. In order for my boyz to go with me on these fishing and hunting adventures they know that they have to keep their grades up and get their responsibilities handled first, then comes the fun. We have been very fortunate to have had many exciting and successful adventures together, my hope is that this will help them to keep their eye on the prize and avoid the other crap. If you have the opportunity, involve a kid in your adventures, best times I've had have been watching my boyz catch fish!

:applause:

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Thats how I feel about my son, I was so proud when he got his first steelhead, He got his on a fly rod but has yet to get one on gear, he gets more fish on the flly rod than I do with gear or a fly rod he just has the touch. Makes you proud to see a youngin :smash: a fish

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
great story...and from the sound of it, great dad.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey aye fsh,
Thank you for involving me in your many adventures, Ive learned alot, and i have you to thank for all of it. without you, i wouldnt have even known about sturgeon, or salmon, or steelhead or anything in the ocean. you have taught me so much stuff, and its been really special to me. thank you for everything. :applause:

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Outstanding story-I am going to print this off and take it home to my family!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Great job, you have plenty to be happy about, and all the right in the world to bragg with a son, with friends like that. Family that plays together, stays together. :cool:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Great post and story.

I look at my son fishing now and consider it an investment! An investment worth every dime I spent......times 2. :applause:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Theres nothing like spending time with the family and I bet its a blast watching your boys catch fish. :applause:

·
Registered
951 Posts
aye fsh...high five for you and your son being able to share such a fantastic pastime as steelhead fishing. I too have a son, Aaron (Sparkleboy) who would rather do nothing else but being on the river, making endless casts, hoping to hook that special fish. The time we spend together on the river can't be compared to anything else. I recall when Aaron was born, one of the first things I thought about was when I could take him up on the river and teach him the art of steelhead fishing. Well, he has been fishing with me now for 12 years, and I am proud to say that I am the student now and I can't thank my son enough for all that he has taught me these last few years. My son is my best fishing partner and it sounds like yours is too. I look forward to many, many years of fishing trips as should you with your son. Good luck and tight lines and maybe we will see you on the river one of these days.

·
Registered
922 Posts
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts