IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally hooked and netted a springer today by myself(do fine when i have people with me) 22 pound beauty. But after i filleted her and was placing the guts in a plastic bag i noticed two worms about 8" long, moving. They look like white earthworms. Did a little research and found that they are tapeworms and i guess pretty common. The sites all said that as long as you cook them well enough or freeze them it is perfectly safe. Also hard to spot if your not looking. Was wondering if anyone has had this experience on this type of worm and do you feel safe eating it (fish not worm) :grin: I remmember a previous post recently about some worms, but i think his were different.

[ 04-30-2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Good with tartar sauce.... :laugh:

Try doing a search for this subject. There was a guy that posted about this same thing back about a couple of weeks ago! 8" seems pretty darn big for a worm in a salmon fillet though IMO!

-jokester

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Caught it down river of Longview near Stella. It was just coated in sea lice. I would have missed the worms had i not put the guts in a pile, makes one wonder how common it really is. I know ill always check from now on, or maybe on second thought ill not. Jokester, they were actually in the stomach cavity i guess because they were at the bottom of the gut pile. After all this and my girlfriend brings home noodles for dinner. :hoboy: So would guys still eat the fillets?

[ 04-30-2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Premium Member
14,489 Posts
pretty much any non-plant food you eat is going to have parasites in it. most are so small, you don't see or notice them. that's why we cook stuff. if it'll make you feel any better, i'll take those filets.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Very common. A lot of people would find worms in the stomach/intestines if they looked. Has no effect on the meat at all. Bon apetite!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts