IFish.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to book a first rate tuna trip this season. Lots of trips in the old Striper. Now I want someone else to drive. Shake N Bake and El Jefe are topping my list. What can you tell me to help make my decision?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Do you want live bait or not.

Both are dream boats that will put you on fish.

One has ready live bait.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Both are great, I will give the nod to Shake N Bake for the live bait. Unless El Jefe is fishing live bait now? CAn't go wrong with either operation, both are first CLASS...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you want live bait or not.

Both are dream boats that will put you on fish.

One has ready live bait.

Definitely leaning towards live bait.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Well then, your choice is clear. I've been lucky enough to fish with both Clark and Mike, outstanding experience.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm looking to book a first rate tuna trip this season. Lots of trips in the old Striper. Now I want someone else to drive. Shake N Bake and El Jefe are topping my list. What can you tell me to help make my decision?
I've heard the overnight trips are best as it gives you more time on the water to actually fish. All my buddies who are obsessive over tuna fish boats with live bait.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
a bunch of charters up in Westport WA have live bait also

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
If I was doing an Albacore charter it would definitely be Shake N Bake. Mike Colbach is a great guy, this trip year in/year out always sounds Amazing! Definitely not early season though, you will want the wide-open live bait experience.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I would definitely check with El Jefe to see if they will have live bait this year. This is something that has been tried a few times over the years in GB, but I have been hearing murmurings again that this could be the year. You could go out on either of them and have a great time on a big, comfortable boat, skippered by a guy that knows a bunch about tuna fishing.

I have not been on the new Shake'N'Bake (fished on the Viking), but Mike C. is a great guy and his boat is top-notch. I fished on El Jefe with Mike S. for the Oregon Tuna Classic and I don't think I've ever been on a tuna boat that was so dialed in with gear. If you needed a certain color or size jig, Rapala, clone, etc- it was neatly organized in one of his tackle drawers!

Tuna fishing has not been as much of a sure thing in the last few years as it was the few years before that, but one thing is for sure- either of these boats will work all day trying to find and raise the fish for you! You can't go wrong.

At this point in the game, if you have specific dates you want to go, the determining factor might be whether one (or either) of these boats still has one of those dates open. Both book up quickly. If they are already booked, I'm sure you can come back here for the next round of recommendations. The size, speed and class of each of those boats is hard to beat in their respective ports, but there are good options for other types of operations.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would definitely check with El Jefe to see if they will have live bait this year. This is something that has been tried a few times over the years in GB, but I have been hearing murmurings again that this could be the year. You could go out on either of them and have a great time on a big, comfortable boat, skippered by a guy that knows a bunch about tuna fishing.

I have not been on the new Shake'N'Bake (fished on the Viking), but Mike C. is a great guy and his boat is top-notch. I fished on El Jefe with Mike S. for the Oregon Tuna Classic and I don't think I've ever been on a tuna boat that was so dialed in with gear. If you needed a certain color or size jig, Rapala, clone, etc- it was neatly organized in one of his tackle drawers!

Tuna fishing has not been as much of a sure thing in the last few years as it was the few years before that, but one thing is for sure- either of these boats will work all day trying to find and raise the fish for you! You can't go wrong.

At this point in the game, if you have specific dates you want to go, the determining factor might be whether one (or either) of these boats still has one of those dates open. Both book up quickly. If they are already booked, I'm sure you can come back here for the next round of recommendations. The size, speed and class of each of those boats is hard to beat in their respective ports, but there are good options for other types of operations.
Thanks everyone for your input. I just heard back from El Jefe that live bait is not yet a sure thing for them in Garibaldi. Shake N Bake it will be. Now if they will just open up for bookings this season!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I was doing an Albacore charter it would definitely be Shake N Bake. Mike Colbach is a great guy, this trip year in/year out always sounds Amazing! Definitely not early season though, you will want the wide-open live bait experience.
Shake N Bake gets the nod. I'm looking hard at the moon and tides for the 1st half of September.

2,474 Posts
Dan,

Adding another boat, as well as salmon and bottom fishing trips, meant that we had to completely redo our online booking, which has been pretty time consuming for my wife.

If all goes well, booking will open up the first week of March.

Go here and enter your email address and you will get an email letting you know in advance when we open up booking. Ilwaco Washington Charter Fishing - RATES AND TRIPS - SHAKE N' BAKE SPORTFISHING

Everyone keep giving El Jefe a hard time about not having bait as I am doing my best to get Mike to move El Jefe to Ilwaco and eventually I am going to wear him down.

Only 5 more months until tuna.

Mike C

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan,

Adding another boat, as well as salmon and bottom fishing trips, meant that we had to completely redo our online booking, which has been pretty time consuming for my wife.

If all goes well, booking will open up the first week of March.

Go here and enter your email address and you will get an email letting you know in advance when we open up booking. Ilwaco Washington Charter Fishing - RATES AND TRIPS - SHAKE N' BAKE SPORTFISHING

Everyone keep giving El Jefe a hard time about not having bait as I am doing my best to get Mike to move El Jefe to Ilwaco and eventually I am going to wear him down.

Only 5 more months until tuna.

Mike C
No pressure Mike. I've been boat-less for about 16 months now and even my wife says I'm getting impatient. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
No pressure Mike. I've been boat-less for about 16 months now and even my wife says I'm getting impatient. :rolleyes:
Hey Dan not to give you bad ideas but my trip to San Diego last year for three days of fishing yellow fin and blue fin tuna was about $1300 put my price tag about the same or less than three days here in the local waters give you some different fish to fish for and live bait. hell of a deal. just saying live bait and different fish maybe larger. My condolences for the lack of a boat I am a much better man with a working boat. I know how you feel. Tell your wife she has our support

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Dan not to give you bad ideas but my trip to San Diego last year for three days of fishing yellow fin and blue fin tuna was about $1300 put my price tag about the same or less than three days here in the local waters give you some different fish to fish for and live bait. hell of a deal. just saying live bait and different fish maybe larger. My condolences for the lack of a boat I am a much better man with a working boat. I know how you feel. Tell your wife she has our support
Yeah Jon, I've been thinking a lot about fishing San Diego and points further south. I'm only about 6 hours east of the SD fleet. This covid business has been keeping me hunkered down for awhile. By summer I should be vaccinated and back in the Northwest. Hopefully towing a new (to me) boat. The Shake N Bake trip will be the icing on a hopefully already successful season.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Nooooooo, we need to figure out live bait in LI. That sounds like a way better plan for El Jefe.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Nooooooo, we need to figure out live bait in LI. That sounds like a way better plan for El Jefe.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Every time I’m there the birds are crashing port side as you’re heading out right by the base of the south jetty stop and jiggle a few

1 - 19 of 19 Posts