IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching for awhile...........thought I'd finally wade in. I moved from the portland area a few years ago so it's nice to use this forum to see whats been going on. One of my favorite fishing was for springers in the willamette below cedar island. I enjoyed the conversations of fishing partners between the all too rare fish, the comradeship of the "regulars", and the change from cold and wet to warm and sunny.The picture of DUD'S PLUG that was posted here awhile back made me smile.My (now ex) father-in-law, Bruce, grew up near the river and near Dudley Nelson. He used to tell stories of Dud, like how Dudley would hold out his arm and Bruce would do chin-ups.....an amusing visual if you were to see them later on!
Once, when I first started fishing in the area with my wife, we were trolling at the start of a slot when Dudley-in his "plug"-came motoring up beside us, looking us over and I think kind of trying to nudge us out of the slot. Just as he was getting uncomfortably close, my wife got a fish on. Dud moved away, she played the fish and got it in.I think Dudley was giving us a somewhat dirty look which dissovled instantly when he heard Bruce, from across the river, yell "THAT'S MY DAUGHTER"! Dud decided we were problably OK after all.For some reason he got a kick out of the fact we were fishing during (part of) our honeymoon.
Things have changed now, and I've moved on but springer fishing is remembered fondly. Although we never talked much, when he would motor by, Dudley always had a wink, a smile, and a slight nod of his head for me......made me feel welcome.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Welcome aboard, Hopefully you set the hook and stay a while. The water is fine.
Fire :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.....I live in fairbanks now and (dont tell anybody)it's a wonderful, at times almost magical place with great people. The fishing here is different than oregon but I'm figuring it out.
On a sad note, I just found out last night (obit in todays oregonion) that Bruce E (mentioned above) passed away. He taught me a lot about fishing and what fun it is to take and teach others ot fish. I'm sure some of you must have known Bruce and his wife Sue...they fished the willamette and T-bay a lot;usally with a crazy brittany spaniel

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Greetings and welcome aboard

Crayfin

·
Registered
574 Posts
Welcome aboard Boomer. Do any diving while your up there. We were up in Juno diving a couple years ago. Got attacked by a BIG KING crab. :laugh: Awesome place to dive!
RD

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dang Boomer,

Ya had me scared for a bit
. I thought I had a stalker
. Long time no talk to. Glad you waded in. Send me your e-mail address and we can catch up. Sorry to hear about Bruce, I saw him and Sue out on th Willy this last season,(I think it was last spring, maybe the spring before.)Anyway they had a new boat and looked very good. We chatted for some time and I introduced my mate to them. Later I saw them at the ramp, and saw them struggle with the boat some. I thought I owed it to them to ask them out in my boat the next day. Sue was cute, and said, "actually it will be our first time out alone tommorow", but she thanked me for the offer. Those people were incredible fish catchers, and I know they taught you a ton and then you :bowdown: taught me all I know about how to catch fish. Good to hear from you and I'll send you a note. :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts