IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished with Dave Johnson Thursday with my dad and two other clients. We fished outside the north and south jetty at Tillamook. Fishing was slow, saw very few fish caught all morning among the hundreds of boats fishing the area. About 11:00 the bite improved and our boat caught and released a 18# nate coho. A little later it was my turn as a fish took my herring as I was reeling in. Since this was my first salmon in over six years (more on that later) Dave did an excellent job reminding me how to fight the fish. After spending the summer watching my three year old beach her trout by backing up from the lake I tended to do the same. After several strong runs we got a 28# chinook in the net, the hook dangling in its jaw.

The boat later caught another nice chinook before the wind kicked up and pushed in the fog. I did not see many other fish caught. Dave did an excellent job scratching three fish on a slow day.
I will look forward to going with him again.

The reason I had not caught a salmon in six years goes like this: Back in the day, late 80's and early 90's, fished every chance I could and did well. Then got married, a house and a real job all within a year. Fishing cut down to 1-2 times a month. In '97 I owned my own business and my son was born. Salmon and steelhead fishing cut down to every 2-3 months. Not enough to keep up the skills or keep in touch with what was going on. Three years ago, my daughter was born, moved to a home with lots of honeydos and more job pressures reducing salmon fishing to once a year if that. However, with two wonderfull kids, (and a great wife) I chose my name to reflect my highest priorits while trying to get back to fishing more like I did back in the day.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sounds like you couldn't of picked a better guide than David! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome aboard. Hope you get some more free time to fish in the future.

·
Administrator
119,700 Posts
Sounds SO fun! :smile:

Congrats and welcome to ifish!

Jen

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I saw you guy's out there yesterday. When I asked Dave how you guy's were doing and he replied, "Well we are drowning some herring." I knew I was in for a tough day on the water. We got one fish to stab at our bait but no hook up. Skunked for the day with 10 hours on the water. I'm glad Dave was able to get you guy's into a few fish on a slow day. There was a lot of skunk smelling fisherman and guides back at he ramp yesterday afternoon!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you've got your priorities just right. My kids are now 17 and 14, and I finally get a little fishing time in. They're only young once. When your time is limited, going with a guide (especially a quality one like Dave) is a great way to make the most of it. :grin:

·
Registered
600 Posts
welcome aboard! There are plenty more fish out there for you to catch! Get out and fish, just remember to leave your fishing area cleaner than when you found it!

good luck,
cb :tongue:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I hada goodtime fishing with all you guys.

I was real nervouse about loosing that fish since you hooked it reeling in and all the fish we've hooked on the reel in the last week and a half have come off. Again, good job

Daddyto2 is on the left and Tom is on the right. We caught the second fish on the very last pass when I know every one had lost all hope of hooking a fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts