IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I' was thinking about fishing the Sandy over the next few days, and see that a few folks have been catching some cohos. I live in Troutdale, and do most of my fishing around Dabney Park since it's so close. Any news from that stretch of the river?

My introduction to fishing was a 3 pound carp on a doughball at night, when I was 7 or so, and my first "boat" was a military air mattress complete with a Zebco 33 and a box of crickets. A definate bluegill killing machine, until I dumped it one day, lost my "rig" and had to paddle empty-handed back to shore. I did lots of bass fishing in Tennessee and Alabama after that, and spent several years in Alaska fishing the Kenai and Russian River from 87-90. I moved to Juneau and fished out of my Arima for several years (which was quite a step up from my air mattress), and moved to Portland in 2003. I've had some luck off and on fishing in the Sandy for wayward hatchery Chinook and cohos, and some smallmouth in the Columbia just upstream of the delta. Also had a great trip to the Tilamook two years ago with Chris Vertopolis for fall Chinook, and a few successful walleye trips below John Day dam.

Anyway - great forum guys, I'm looking forward to any info on the lower Sandy conditins/fishing, and continuing my fishing education with the benefit of your experiences and expertise. I'm banking it presently, but plan to take the right boat off of someones hands this winter.

Regards

Ralph Thompson
Troutdale

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
Welcome rthompson,
The Sandy can be a very enjoyable river to fish, I've been fishing it for over 25 years. I learned to fish the Sandy from one of the best, Jack Glass. I would highly recommend that you book a trip with Jack or his son Brandon. They are both very proven guides on the Sandy and are very willing to share their knowledge of the river and it's fishery. You can find them thru their website. Another good guy on the river to fish with is Trevor Storlie of Red's Guide Service. For the upper river a good guide is Ed Fast. Another good resource is Rob Brown down at Jacks Snack-n-Tackle at the Troutdale Bridge, he is more than willing to share what he knows.

But probably the best resource of all is to join the Sandy River Chapter of the Northwest Steelheaders. We are a great group of fisherman/women who really care about the Sandy River. You would have the opportunity to meet some very experienced Sandy River fisherman/women that are all about helping others learn about the river. It's only $10 to join and we meet at Glenn Otto Park there in Troutdale the first Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm. You can see more about us at http://www.sandysteelheaders.org/index.html and see for yourself or you can send me a private message if you would like more information directly.

Either way, the best way to discover the Sandy River is to just get out and explore. There are many places to fish and hopefully another great winter steelhead season coming up soon after the first of the year.

Welcome to ifish, there are some really great people here and a lot of sharing going on.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Welcome aboard.:wave:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Welcome.
If you want to fish the Sandy this week you may want to check on the water clarity first. Today it's a tad bit brown with about 4" visibility.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Welcome aboard, Need any current info or a water clarity check please feel free to call us.

503-665-2257

Rob and Bradi Brown
Jacks Snack N Tackle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info/responses guys. Hit Eagle Creek below the County Park (nada) then on to McIver Park yesterday morning below the boat ramp. Saw one old Chinook milling around the shallows, but no coho. Then on to Cedar Creek hatchery, looks like there was a good bite on in the morning but didn't see much action for the couple of hours I was there. Today hit the Sandy at Dabney and below the Interstate bridge for a few hours, Things were slow, no one I spoke to had anything to report. But - it sure beats mowing the lawn : )

RT

·
Registered
24 Posts
it's been weird at ceader creek this year for coho, like last year i'd go down and catch like 15-20 fish a day it was alot of fun and i've had my days this year like going down and catching some and limiting, but not like it was last year, kinda different, wounder if it has to do with marmot dam being taken out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts