IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get some feedback on some choices that i am trying to make. So my deilema is that my older car 95 caravan is starting to die. First the heater is going out and now its going this weird thing with the heat gauge that well is annoying as all hell. So im going to keep it through the winter and then trade it in/sell it and get myself a new car. What i am looking for is something that gets good/better gas milage then what i have now (currently 17-21mpg). What i am looking for in a new ride is follows. Im torn between a truck or a car. I want all wheel or 4 wheel drive for the winters as i need to get over the mountain to do some fishing. And i want something that economical and can hold myself and 2 others. So a smaller pick up is out of the question as i want the space for other people as well. So im looking at something like a Subaru baja. You know a truck/car mix. But are there any others out there? Also, when i go to the bank to talk financing what do i need to know. As i dont want to get worked with the intrest informaion. I have a budget in my head in what i am willing to pay per month. Should i tell that to them up front or let them work the details out and then give them my price and try to talk them down. Should i go with a dealership or buy from a person (where could i get the better deal) im thinking i can get a better price from a person and not a dealer. What about contacting dealers online? Anybody have luck with that?

Also are there other things im forgetting as this will be my first new to me car purchase and i just dont wanna get hosed. And i want to be well informed before i decide to make my final decision as to what i do. Also i know there is a iFish car seller guy here as well maybe he can chime in as to what my options are. And yes i am willing to walk away and shop around if i dont like the terms.

Thanks for any responces

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I find you either get gas mileage ('06 Kia Spectra (although I should have gone Toyota Camry) or function ('92 2500 subrban w/454). From what you've described I think Subaru would be the way to go.

Talk to a credit union about financing before hand and then buy from private party.

Edmunds.com and ebay/craigslist are good resources to know what price to pay.

Good luck :twocents:

·
Registered
407 Posts
There are lots of different routes to go. You could always lease a car. The good new is after 3 years you turn in the keys and don't have to hassle with a trade in. The bad news is you always make a payment, and it takes a few thousand to walk into it. Cash in hand always works well, (as mentioned above) but dealers can sometimes work a better deal through the manufacturers on finances for you. I.E. no interest or low interest loans, plus cash back incentives. Oddly enough, Costco has an auto buying program also. You decide which car you want, go to a selected dealer, and they give you a bottom line price, no haggling, no muss, no fuss. I did that on one and loved the experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm partial to Ford products so my only recommendation would be maybe the Escape.
BUT, the fun part of all of this is the INTERNET! USE IT. Research the heck out of stuff. Try Edmunds.com etc.

-Most USA makers are not doing that well right now.

-They don't have to make much if any profit off of you, there are many other folks who they made enough off of. Drive a hard bargin and walk out the door as many times as it takes.

- Don't get tricked by monthly payments alone. Know what interest rate you want and the price you want to pay. That's it.

-In the end, they are going to try to sell you an extended warranty. Usually pretty expensive. Your call. If you pass on it now, it usually gets offered again by manufacturer before the standard one ends.

-IF YOU HAVE A 401K.....BORROW THE MONEY FROM YOURSELF !!!!
You get the car, the title and you PAY YOURSELF BACK.. Nice.

Good luck and sart your research.:pumpkin:

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
If you don't want to get hosed.. and hosed = losing money, what else right?

Don't buy new, get a creme puff somebody else paid depreciation on. Certified new, or private party. You can see the depreciation curve by looking in the papers at 3 year old cars... can be up to 10K.

Don't borrow from your 401k.. the market is doing better than a loan % is. And your 401k is PRE TAX dollars.. to pay that back you will do so with TAXED dollars. There are some (FEW) good reasons to ever borrow from you 401k and a car loan is not it. i.e. to pay yourself back 25K$ into a 401K, you will need to put in about 35K$ (depends on your tax bracket) or more of your take home salary to get it back, and all the while it isn't growing at market rates. Home equity might make more sense, but shop on interest rate, and understand the Total Cost of Money.

Do research in consumer reports on maintainance and repair on new/used cars and it appears you have some good ideas of what you want.

Sell you car out right.. don't trade it in, you will never know what the new car really cost and what they gave you for you trade in.

gus

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Click on the Doherty Ford image, those guys will help you.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Subaru!!!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
There is an amazing used/new car lot in Portland. Powell Motors, on Grand near Burnside. Family-owned and operated for more than 30 years.

They sell used vehicles and beat COSTCO prices on new cars. They will research and find any make or model you seek, and will go over every one with you in person. Amazing personalized service.

So far we've purchased a used '97 Expedition (high mileage, ultra-clean), a low-mileage 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE(perfect in every way), and a new Honda.

Their cars are total creampuffs, and the prices are fair. I have bought three cars/trucks from them, and will buy every car I purchase in the future from them.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Whatever car you decide on, I can't encourage you strongly enough, to utilize the many internet buying services. I have bought a few vehicles that way, and saved huge dollars.
Go out and test drive many vehicles, to make sure of your decision. Don't get into a debate in dollars witha local dealer. Use the power of the internet, know what invoice priceis on any vehicle you are interested in, and always dicker with price from a positive point (invoice cost). If you want to know which services I've used, feel free to PM.:twocents:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea so i narrowed it down and i am 90% sure im going to be going with a Subaru Baja. Talking to a friend that has owned one and still dose and seems to like it for similar reasons ill plan on using it for. That said i have gotten a few good pm's so far.

But for those that currently own a subaru whats the cost for the up keep? Is there a noticible diffrence between what you pay for maintance between them and other companys out there?

Also when it comes to financing. Should i go to a number of banks? Looking for a lower intrest rate? Or will that be fairly standard from location to location and company to company? Also when it comes to talking about financing from the bank what do i need to know? I do have a credit card (which i use to pay for school) and it has an outstanding balance. However, i have never made a payment late and always pay more then minimum. Will this hurt my credit score? Also should i tell them this when i go into the bank to look at my options? What should i shy away from. And yea im not going to tough my 401k as where things are headed im going to be needing all i can get when i retire. O i know my age will have to do with my score as i just started living on my own so i have a very low/minimal credit history. If it matters im 22.

Thanks and keep the suggestions/feedback coming

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
-IF YOU HAVE A 401K.....BORROW THE MONEY FROM YOURSELF !!!! You get the car, the title and you PAY YOURSELF BACK.. Nice. Good luck and sart your research.:pumpkin:
Not to hi-jack this thread, but think about this before you do it. If you borrow from your 401 then the money that you use to pay it back will be taxed every month. Then when you eventually draw it out of the 401 you will be taxed again. Paying taxes twice on the same money is not my idea of being fiscally responsible.

Steve/RR

·
Vendor
3,680 Posts
Thres,
If you would like some advice on your purchase(Even if its not a Ford) feel free to give me a call.:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts