IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put this on the main board, but it's salty because these are salty fish.

I got some interesting specimens on Saturday.

Woke up Sunday and they were all stiff with rigor. I could not wait, so I worked on that little yellowtail until he relaxed a bit, and I was ready.

Then I put ink and paper to fish. This is literally the first one I pulled off. I am not disappointed. I am also not done. But I made about 15 more with varying levels of success. They are all pretty cool, but I am saving this first one for sure and painting the eye, then a diagonal splash of translucent bronze. Very fun. I highly encourage anyone interested to give it a try.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s really cool Kurt! Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing the final version. I also wanna see the China rockfish version.
Small Quillback. He's the most interesting for sure, and probably gonna be last.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Small Quillback. He's the most interesting for sure, and probably gonna be last.
Hah....after I posted that, I zoomed in (small phone screen) and saw it wasn’t a China, but couldn’t tell if was a black & tan, quillback, or other. It should look pretty cool with the big spines, on the paper.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hah....after I posted that, I zoomed in (small phone screen) and saw it wasn’t a China, but couldn’t tell if was a black & tan, quillback, or other. It should look pretty cool with the big spines, on the paper.
And thanks for the compliment, Mark. It was surprisingly easy to make a decent one. I think it will take some time and maybe skill I don't have to improve. It's fun though, I am gonna try. I have some ideas, I want to do a ling with 4 or 5 dabs scattering. Add some brown for the dabs, turquoise and black for the ling. But lings saggy belly and round cross section make them hard, may have to stuff them down the throat with cotton. Even then, they will look way wider than they should. The flatter the fish, the easier. The quillback will be the most challenging of the bunch there. I am saving him for when rigor lets go.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nice work 3much As a side note, from taking a class on this, don't be afraid to fill in some of the missing spots with a fine tip black marker

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work 3much As a side note, from taking a class on this, don't be afraid to fill in some of the missing spots with a fine tip black marker
Thanks for the advice! I plan to do some retouching and playing with color and of course, the eyes. One of the cool things is I made like 15 prints in a couple hours, so I will have many, many to play with.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Nice work Kurt

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Kurt, are you using India Ink and do you paint it on with a brush? Would freezing help to keep them from moving, etc.? Please post some more they are really cool.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kurt, are you using India Ink and do you paint it on with a brush? Would freezing help to keep them from moving, etc.? Please post some more they are really cool.
Freezing won't work. Too cold condenses water. Sumi ink which is soot and water based painted on blotted off then press the rice paper on. It's easy to make the quality you see here. I'm sure better ones are harder because I don't seem to be improving quickly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Really cool. Make a great Hoodie or Tee shirt design/Logo:)

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Very cool Kurt

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Those are neat. I’d screw it up. My artistic ability isn’t even good enough to play hangman.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Nicely Done! They came out really well. Did you learn anything as you went? Tips?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts