IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article in the Oregonian about the Jack Salmon...they aren't infertal according to the article....they are in such a hurry to pro-create...they come back early...and fertalize eggs just after a full grown adult does his business..trying to get some of their own mojo in on the process. I do beleive that they must be fin clipped to keep them. I thought about that one for about 2 seconds..and thought...hey, it's got an extra fin...put it back...better be safe than face a narly fine....and the bad karma or doing something with a native fish.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
fisherfield is right. They do spawn and are fertile. They've also found that there are residualized fish that don't go out to sea at all that also spawn that are no larger than a trout. It's a good thing because nature isn't putting all of it's eggs in one basket. Depending on the life history chosen by the fish, there could be several year classes of fish spawning at one time.

Congrats on the double. That would have been almost as exciting as the springer double the guy got at Sellwood last year.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Fisherfield...way to go! Watch out this 'spinner disease' is apparently VERY contagious and appears to be fatal. (to the fish anyway.) :laugh: :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Congrats on the Double :cheers: , And thanks for the great story

·
Registered
331 Posts
Congratulations on the jack.
Too bad he had too many fins. I've fished Steamboat landing a few times myself. That's one snaggy spot. I've caught a few nice smallmouths there, but never a salmon. Good work.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ramstrong~ Thanks for the tid bit of information...makes you think about how this big ball spins around...or is it sitting on someone's big finger in the sky...a plan for everything. :smile:

Lured In~ I always thought that spinners were made to cast and retreive...abviously some are..but with the right current and length of droppers and leaders...those puppies stay up in the current...in as FWF1 likes to say...."the zone"....I can't wait to get out there and give it another go. :grin:

Quick Fisher~ Thank you..I like it when there's a good story....Thanks to the story tellers on here to....Hogmaster!

Elwix~ Yeah, really snaggy...I was lucky to not lose anything this go round there..(thud, thud, thud....knocking on wood) I've found that if you change position and try to retreive, it releases..there are mostly big boulders there..and if you change the angle, sometimes it'll let go...and reel like heck. I was using 6 oz pyrimid...but have used the teardrop and had good luck also.

It's late..good night..happy fishing!!

Jeff

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This fishing story begins with a bit of a laugh...last night my wife came home from shopping with her girlfriends....I was home with our daughter...4 month old Shelby. I normally take her fishing when we have time to hang out...but the last trip wasn't very much fun..many mosquito's were out and I didn't want her getting bit...too many times! So, I've been leaving the rod in the basement and playing fun little games that a 4 month old enjoys..back to the story about last night. So my wife walks in and I look at her...and she looks at me...and she says..."what time will you be back"..."around 10:30 or so" I say..."o.k." she says...have fun! She didn't wish me luck...or tell me to catch anything...just to have fun...funny part there...we didn't even have a conversation about it...she just looked at me and knew what I was thinking.

I loaded up my gear...along with some home made spinners I had put together a week ago. Money has been a little tight lately...so I managed to make up some cool to me looking spinners with some old broken up tackle that I've found while pulling up the other guys line. There was one that looked like it was going to fill the freezer...so I headed to Steamboat landing...on the Columbia..in Washougal. There were at least a dozen people fishing..when I asked how the fishing was...slow was the answer. I dind't care...I was going to fish my own spinner and had a great feeling about it. After about 15 minutes of waiting I decided to pull it in and see how bad the grass was. While I was pulling it in, I got hung up...I changed angles on the snag and it started to come up....with all of my gear, I brought up at least 4 other rigs. They were all bunched up...and the biggest line was about 8 lbs max....why do people use such light line on a big body of water...with all the rocks to get snagged on?? Now that I think about it..the first time I fished there...was with a trout pole and 6 lb test...because I heard that people were catching Salmon there. That question answered.

I managed to get some swivels and a really small alvin. I was actually excited about the alvin..knowing that I could use it as a slider if I wanted to. I switched to another spinner I had made and gave it a great heave into the mighty Columbia...and then remembered the alvin...I'll slide that down too..can't hurt to have another hook in the water. A few mintues later...my bell starts ringing...and the rod is a dancing! I set the hook and start the fight...but there wasn't much of a fight...mmmmm...squaw fish maybe?? I keep realing and then the line starts peeling...not a ton...but it's peeling...so there's gotta be something of size on my hook, right?? This is where it gets good...a fish surfaces...small, but it's a fish...and my rod is still bent...and line is still peeling?? THE ALVIN....I'VE GOT A DOUBLE!! :dance: After a few minutes of playing with the fishes...I bring em to the dock...I've got a squaw fish on the alvin and a nice 20-22inch jack salmon...on the spinner that I made!!! It was a native and after getting unhooked...revived...he's back to fertalize those eggs....

I've tried plunking before, with spin and glo's...and never caught anything. But after reading all the posts lately about spinners...what lengths to set up and colors to use at different times of day...from Team Carrott Milk, Get Bent...and all the other helpfull fishermen and women...I decided to give making my own a go....and it worked! Thanks to everyone who shares their fish catching stories....it gives a guy like me new ideas...and eventually a fish..the freezer still doesn't have any fresh fish in it...but at least I know I can catch fish in many different ways. On the bug, drifting eggs, bobber and a jig...and now plunking with my home grown spinners!

I caught my first jack salmon.....on a home made spinner..using a half dollar size, chrome blade...with opalescent red, and green beads. I took along a tape measure and made sure that my dropper was 2 1/2 feet and my leader was 4 feet...with a medium size barrell swivel placed a 2 feet....with 30# Chamelion mono. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge everyone!

[ 07-10-2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Fisherfield ]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Fisherfield,

Sounds fun, what a combo - jack and squaw together, I bet thats a record in itself.

I've got a question, maybe you or someone here can clarify. It was my understanding that jacks are infertile - they came back too early. And also, I don't know where you were fishing, but in a lot of places jacks are legal to keep, fin or no fin? Mainly because they're infertile anyway, I presume.

Maybe we can learn something here! Good fishing anyway! :cheers:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good story. Congrats on catching a double with your own spinners. You're lucky to get kitchen passes like that from your wife. I caught my first Jack last week in Alaska. They are fun to catch. We kept ours because the guide said it was encouraged in Alaska so the jacks would not be able to fertilize the eggs and propagate the cycle of genetically small fish returning. Are wild jacks legal to catch and keep in Oregon/Washington waters?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention....while I was there...the squaw fish fella's were making some serious dogh...they are up to $4 a peice now and one guy had a 5 gallon bucket full of em! :dance:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts