IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday, wow what a day!

When the bite was on we were too busy to get any pics. In the afternoon, we finally managed to break out the camera:

Here we are trolling in the ‘Red Sea of Astoria'

Our Ifish salty skipper George, captured here in an extremely rare photo showing the secret technique of ‘salmon calling'. Similar to mouth-calling geese, here we see him in action calling the salmon out of the red water to slam our offerings.

Heeding George's calling this bright (for a Tule) buck slammed Mrs.Garyk's herring, thereby sacrificing himself to our smokehouse.

The URB's were susceptible to George's call as well.

All in all a fantastic day! URB's, a couple Tule monsters, wild and clipped coho - man it was great.

PS. In light of today's tragedy on the Bar, it's worth noting that the skipper had us put on the life vests as soon as we were underway. At day's end, somewhere's up in the parking lot, I noticed mine was still on.

[ 08-26-2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
He's not just a shallow-water guy either. I've seen him call halibut up from 600+ feet. I think it's the way he puffs out his cheeks. :cool:

Looks like you did pretty well though! Man, that's roily looking water behind you. Whew!

Nice fish! Nice smiles! :cheers:

Skein

·
Registered
355 Posts
Personally I have a fish whistle but my kids still sing, here fish, fish, fish. Here fish, fish, fish. Come on fish, bite my hook. :grin:
You know, the old stand by.
Nice fish :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
what is the scoop on the red water? Anybody know why its red? Algae? pollution? Carrot milk?

HC

[ 08-27-2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: half canuck ]

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HC, I believe it's an algal bloom - but not the 'red tide' that contaminates shellfish.

Prior the the trip, I had read a post here that the bloom attracted bait fish, which attracts big fish, etc. So, we trolled on the margins and immediately got into fish, ending the day with some fast action.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Nice Job! Glad to see that Duck-n-out is back to slayin' em. George is a quality captain that puts safety first. I need to get me some of those sleek life-vests.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I leave the computer for 10 days while I fish at the coast and come back to find out Garyk is telling all my secrets. Well not all of them. He forgot to mention the secret chant. (notice how the palms are pointed up) I learned the chant while waiting in line at PDX a few years back. Gary, glad to have you and the missus along, Judy and I enjoyed the trip. The weather got progressively worse as the week went along. I had some trailer brake trouble on Sunday and didn't leave the RV park. Boy was I lucky. The people who went out didn't have any fun fighting the wind.
Skein, how's the new boat? Caught any Tuna?, Halibut?
TV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts