IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I decided to put a top on the Willie Boat and we started it today.

I saw the top that TH put on his and did a little emailing with him and now we are going to follow along his lines. Ours will be a fold down top and it will probably take us a week or two to finish.

Heres the Willie before starting.

After the first day we got the top supports on.

Hope to get some of the canvas on tomorrow.
fop

OK, Got the top bimini on today with all the zippers for the side, front and back drop. This is a very hard job for us learners. Will start the side windows next. Even drove down the freeway and it didn't blow off. :grin: Yes, the car was attached!!
fop

fop

[ 05-02-2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: fop ]

·
Registered
545 Posts
fop,
What a great looking project. It's hard to tell, are you using aluminum, conduit, or ? tubing? I'd love to hear details of prep/construction technique/progress if you don't mind. We've talked about the same type of project for our Whaler. If you'd email me, if you have a minute, I'd really appreciate it or I'll watch your progress as you post. Again, looks great!
Jean

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Fred, looks like a great start to your top project. Keep us posted with some pic's, looks like you'll be able to tow it with that frame set up. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jcarufo,

Second step is just completed.

Will start on the side windows next and keep ya posted.

Thanks,

fop

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait for the next installment. Are you using a pattern or measuring and cutting? Side curtains too? Fantastic.
Jean

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update:

Got the side windows in today and will start the front windows next.

jcarufo, My son,the brains behind this project, make patterns out of plastic and then transfers to canvas. I can show you a picture of that process if you want it.

fop

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I'd like to see pictures or the process if you get a chance to post them. Looking great so far!

RF

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
fop...Dude..you're gonna bring me to tears. Looks like you're doing a top notch job. Oh...no pun intended.

Nothing like looking back on your efforts with the knowledge you "did it" yourself.

May I suggest if you need or want a bit of privacy... to velcro in some lighter material to cover the inside of your windows. It's really nice to have a sun block when you're out there in August. Or for whatever reasons. The women like it. Comes in handy at the "hoglines".

Great job. I salute you.

Mark

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
roguefishr, Here's what my son does to make the canvas pieces. First he make a plastic piece to fit then transfers it to canvas. Then he puts it together and we hope it fits. So far it has been pretty good for us. Only a few more pieces and it will be done. And only a few minor "screw-ups" . When a person build something for themselves we seem to be our worst critics.

My son is just learning how to do this so we put him to the test with our Willie. Also we couldn't get a better price while he is learning the trade.

fishinmission, Thanks for the input. We decided that we wanted to have as much windows that we could get. But, a shade inside might be in order for us if it ever gets "hot" :wink: this summer.. We have not been home in WA. for 23 years so don't really remember what the weather is gonna bring us. And we have always been in an open boat so this is gonna be so new for us.

Front pieces will be in tomorrow. Look for another update.

We are also building a "crown bender" to make the bends on the top tubes. It will be done soon too!

This is very complicated stuff, but fun.......And, rewarding!!

fop

[ 04-30-2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: fop ]

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our son David got the top done today while I was out fishing. Turned out very well and are we happy? Ya, we are.

This is the first big job he has tried to tackle and has around 56 hours in it. He figures that if he can find a next time he will cut those hours in about a half. Did alot of learning on this project and is looking for more to do!!

Now all we need is some rain and we'll go try it out. We also wanted as much window area as we could get and we did it!!!!!!

Thank you for all the positive replys, we have enjoyed doing the project and posting our rewards of getting it done.

A special thanks to TH for showing his boat top that got us wanting to do our own.

fop

[ 05-02-2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: fop ]

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Nice job!!! :cheers: It turned out great. If you need rain to test it, we have had plenty down here :wink:

RF

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Fred,you had to ask for more rain?? Are you as crazy as I think you are? Did you forget how to turn the hose on? :wink: Kidding aside, nice job on the top. It will be nice to have that up and available when chasing gators this spring.

[ 05-03-2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Wiser? ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts