IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a Steelhead!! :dance: On the Clack by the DMV. I took several tips from you folks on ifish and wanted to share with everyone. I tried to take a picture of it. Native, I'd say 23-25 inches. I don't really keep em anyway...that fishee will have some more time to grow! It's funny too. I've been trying and trying using all kinds of rigs, and when heading out yesterday morning...I though I should take my fly rod with me...after finding my way down to the river at dawn..grabbed my fly rod and spinning rod. After about 30 casts with no luck on the jig and bobber, I put my fly on...tossed it out about 12 feet in front of me, while walking out a ways in the water...20 seconds...maybe...boom, fish on...got into my backing and I was having a blast, chasing that beauty down the river. After what seemed like an hour, about 10 minutes in reality...I get it to the bank...size it up a bit...see all the fins...get ready to release it and then remember...oh, gotta get a picture...no problem...camera is in my pocket...fish starts kicking again...snap off a picture of my hand holding the rod....and them barbless hooks help out the mighty steelie...gone to swim again with friends. :smile:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wanna be the first to congratulate you as I remember my first steely a couple years ago and ironically enough it was on the bug rod also. Even though there have been a couple hundred since then, there will never be another like your first!
Tim Lennox

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ditto :dance: :dance: :dance: --There is nothing like that first one! Mine was a float trip on the Deschutes, what a big goofy grin I had in that picture! :grin:

Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I'm curious,...what type of pattern did ya use? We do a lot of fly fishing up there in the summertime, and do really well. Just seeing if we're on the same lines.

Sub

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
cool , i am happy for you. way to not give up. nice story too.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for giving me hi-fives...Sublime, I don't really know the name of the fly I was using. I have a friend who has been a Skamania Fly Fisher for around 20 years. Every time I see him he hands me a little plastic box with new "combos" that he decides to tie. I will tell you that it was weighted, 2 small beads for eyes, for the weight...fuzzy purple and black feathers with some opalecent thread. Thanks again and happy fishing to all!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no kidding...lucky it wasn't a big daddy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts