IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a three people out salmon fishing today on the Siuislaw. I am a novice, new this year, and none of them have ever been salmon fishing before. Luckily, we caught a 30-pound salmon this afternoon. It was the boat's first fish and our only fish of the day.

We fished from 7:30 am until 1:00 pm with no luck, but we did see a few boats landing fish so we were optimistic. We made a turn heading the boat back down river just below the Cushman bridge when a small boat in front of us nailed a fish. This guy was fishing alone and battled this fish for quite a while. When he went to net it his net broke and he nearly went into the water. Long story short, he landed the fish - a 34 pound male. We wished him congratulations and went back to our fishing.

Our catch was quite exciting too. When our day began we were just fishing my two nice rods and reels from my boat. I brought along one crappy one in case we needed it. The crappy one is a 1985 Diawa spinning reel I got from my parents for Christmas one year. My friend Glen wanted to hold a pole so it felt like he was doing something, so he rigged one up with a herring and tossed it in the water. Not two minutes after that, Glen hooked what he thought was a snag. But then the snag made a run and nearly ran the spool out of line! I backed the boat up in time and we pursued the fish. After a short fight Glen got the fish to the boat and we saw that it was pretty big but it took another run when it saw the net. Glen fought it a little longer and got it up to the boat again. When we tried to net the fish we realized that the leader that was so long that he could not get the fish close enough to the boat to net it. So he grabs the line and starts pulling it in with his hands. When I see this, I leap out of my seat, take the net from my friend and - as soon as the fish is ready scoop into the boat - I snag it. We took it in and weighed it at the Siuslaw Marina. 30 lbs! Not bad for a boatfull of rookies and a rod and reel designed for small game fish.

That was our only fish of the day but boy was it worth it. Once we get the pictures I will upload them for you to see.

[ 10-11-2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: shinyhawg ]

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
Nice job!! Congrats on the fish :cheers: Get those pics up here so we can see that hog! :shocked:

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
Nice job shiny!! :cheers: That's a dandy buck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Outstanding! Way to hang in there and not be discouraged by the early results. Sometimes persiverance will reward you with a great catch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have two nice bait casting Garcia reels and lamiglas rods. Brought that one along on a whim. Of course the fish hits that one. It worked so that is all that matters.

I know we had some luck on our side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts