IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why the fall run chinook in Nehalem bay do not have to be fin clipped? It seems strange to me when the spring run has to be clipped and the fall run of chinooks do not. This is for Nehalem Bay up to Miami Crk. At least thats the way i interpet the regs. I have been told that they do have to be fin clipped by some other fishermen. Then i have also been told that they do not. Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Fall Chinook have a life history in which their juviniles only reside in freshwater for one year or less. This makes them less vulnerable to various land use practices that inflict mortality upon them as juviniles. They, to a certain extent, only have to contend with ocean limiting factors. Coho, spring Chinook, summer Chinook, and many steelhead, on the other hand, reside in fresh water for up to two years which exposses them to freshwater and ocean peril. This basic biological difference gives fall Chinook a competitive edge and has resulted in most of our fall populations being healthy thus no selective fisheries based on fin clipping are warrented. Also, virtually all coastal fall stocks are natural spawners and therefore have never been at a hatchery where they would be fin clipped. Hope this sheds some light.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou Fishbulb. I'll bet a lot of ifishers have wondered about that. Very interesting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts