IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
767 Posts
Re: Filipino style TUNA KINELAW

Woody,
The Datu Puti stuff is just cane vinegar and nothing else. Datu Puti Brand Does however make other varieties (one of which being "spiced", it has all sorts of peppers and onions in the bottle.
The variety used by Rose (Mrs. Fortywinks) was just plain 'ole Cane Vinegar.
The other vinegar in question is made from rice wine. Something called "mirin".
I really don't know if it will change Coke to Pepsi if you use one or the other.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not Emril over here... Just a carkin' son-of-a-gun named Ragnar.
Hope this helps.
Ragnar

· Administrator
129,616 Posts

Thank you for the recipe! Whooo hooo this stuff is good!

Jen

· Registered
16,700 Posts

Thanx for the recipe Bill. Tell the little mrs thanx too. :bowdown: She tried to give us the recipe at the Mac Ifish get together but too much going on at the time. Now to sneak over to Rich`s freezer one of these day`s when he`s out beating the water to a froth, and I`ll have some tuna too! :laugh: Skunkbutt. (Ff) :grin:

· Registered
16,700 Posts

Hey Bill! Have you ever substituted red wine vinegar for the Datu Puti? Just curious. Sounds like it might be deliciosa! :dance:

· Banned
8,470 Posts

Just pulled the ingredients and put together a nice batch about 3 cups worth.

Another Thank You for a great recipe! This stuff is excellent!

:food: :applause: :food: :applause: :food:

· Registered
18,695 Posts

Team eyeFISH enjoyed this recipe immensely.... fresh pickled albacore! MMMMMM!

I thought fresh English cucumbers went really well with this dish.

A perfect cool, refreshing dish for hot summer days!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

· Banned
668 Posts

Here is the recipe for Filipino style Tuna Kinelaw (sushi if you will)that Mrs Fortywinks made at the Depoe Bay Carking Festival on Saturday and also made at last years ifishstock.

There are no measurements here, but the amount of ingredients depends on the amount of tuna you start with and of course your taste. Some of the ingredients such as the sweet onions, jalapenos and tomato are not necessary but add to the flavor and caters to your taste buds.

Start by soaking the tuna in vinegar for at least 5 minutes. This vinegar can be purchased at most Oriental Food stores (brand name is Datu Puti). After soaking, gently squeeze out vinegar and discard (the vinegar, not the fish) :crazy:.

Cover fish with fresh vinegar, add finely chopped ginger, chopped green onions, chopped sweet onions, and chopped tomato and squeeze in fresh lime. Season to taste with pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Let sit for at least 1/2 hour. It is even better left refrigerated overnight if you can stay away from it that long :hoboy:.

This same basic recipe is also excellent with fresh, well cleaned cockle clams.

Pilar, Puffin, Northriverdave, Waterdog and all the rest of you carkamaniacs, thanks for letting a couple of rookies join in the fun. :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

PS Still looking for that first tuna ride of this season - hint, hint. :grin:
FORTY WINK - mabuhay! are you and/or the mrs pinoy? tm

· Registered
7,824 Posts
I had forgotten all about this recipe until fishing for albis on Sunday.

Made this yesterday and had a sample for an appetizer prior to having blackened tuna for dinner. It was fabulous, but as the recipe says, it is SO much better the next day! I had it for breakfast AND lunch today!

DELICIOUS!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.