IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance and I have narrowed our honeymoon choices to Fiji or Tahiti. She is insisting that I do some fishing (like I'm gonna argue) so I was wondering if any salty dogs have experience fishing either location.

We are leaning towards the island of Moorea in French Polynesia (Tahiti) and will be going in April next year. Also, she is interested in learning to fly fish so I'd like to try something easy like casting poppers to reef fish (snapper, trevally, etc...) although I may squeeze in a day of big game fishing if I can afford it.

Any input is appreciated.

· Registered
219 Posts
Go to Fiji, your money will get you twice as much there and the native Fijians are very friendly. By the way, no $$ tipping is expected/allowed in Fiji...

Try Tokoriki Island, no kids allowed and from a personal honeymoon experience, this is a magical place (yes, they offer fishing). Only 30 rooms at the resort, all on the beach. No phones, no TV, no radio, no internet.

Good luck.

· Registered
391 Posts
I spent 3 weeks in Tahiti and have no interest in going back. We spent time in Moorea, Bora Bora, and on the main island of Tahiti. I was incredibly disappointed. Fiji on the other hand was much nicer. I would go back in a heartbeat. I will elaborate later, I'm in the middle of carking tuna.

Bob

· Vendor
9,588 Posts
I vacationed on Moorea 20 years ago, and loved it. The actual island of Tahiti was heavily polluted with diesel smoke, but Moorea was lovely. I did not fish, but from what I saw the wind blows hard most of the time. The locals had 17 foot skiffs with waist-high booths at the helm, presumably to steady them in heavy seas. The skiffs had deep V hulls, and all of them had kickers alongside the main outboard. You might want to check on prevailing wind conditions if it will primarily be a fishing trip.

At the time, the delicious french Baguettes cost 25 cents, and local fruit and fish were cheap. Imported "tourist" food was extremely expensive.

· Registered
3,346 Posts
I too spent about 3 weeks in tahiti. We were at Moorea, Bora Bora, Huanini (sp?) and of course the main Island. Very pretty scenery but I felt like the access to snorkeling and fishing was limited. Snorkeling near the beach was obviously not the clearest water but to have a boat take you out to the reef it seemed like it cost $25 per person for an hour or so. Not very cost effective for a long vaction. There didn't seem to be much of an emphasis on fishing either. However for someplace really unique you might look into Rangiroa. It' a 40 or 50 mile long lagoon surrounded by sand beaches. I wanted to go there but couldn't fit it into the schedule.

· Banned
218 Posts
Been to Fiji 3 times and must agree with the other posters here, it's the place for a holiday.:agree:

People are friendly and everyone speaks some English-Tahiti is French.

Just be sure to get off the main island of Viti Levu (forget anywhere on the Coral Coast the coral is all dead) and out to one of the smaller places like the Yasawas chain, Taveuni or down to Kadavu.

Take your own snorkel and mask you can always rent fins.

If you have any questions re:fishin' Fiji then Fire Away!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.