IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the reccomendation for an easy to use fiberglass polish to brighten up sun faded gel coat?

Another question is: Our boat has a 1989 Johnson VRO (Variable Ratio Oil?) 90 on it. The oil is in a second tank. How does the mixing system work?

There is a second fuel line which is over on the kicker side. Can I assume the fuel/oil mix coming from that line would also work on my 1990 Johnson 8 HP?

The dealer where I bought the boat didn't know.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A great fiberglass polish is Nu Finish. This is the one in the bright orange bottle. Just don't use it any place you walk as it makes the surface very slick. I think any auto polish is ok, anyway that is what I was told by the manufacture of my boat, Arima.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hi Bull elk
I've tried every cleaner/polish known to boaters. With out question the best I've found is a product called "Flitz". It's a metal / fiberglass polish that really removes the oxidation that causes the " dullness". Follow up the cleaning with a good Carnuba wax ( 4 seasons by minwax )and your good to go. I did my 16 year old Bayliner about 3 yrs ago -- with a touch up each year and the boat looks great.
Flitz can be bought on line in the quart size. www.flitz.com I think thats the site.
Terry

·
Registered
981 Posts
My brothers boat had a bad case of oxidation. This process takes some time, but the boat looked like new. First we used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #44 Color Restorer. "Specially formulated to remove moderate oxidation, water spots and stubborn scratches from all Gelcoat finishes."
Then we used Meguiar's #45 Boat/RV Polish. "For a brilliant high gloss finish." Then we waxed it. Like I said it took awhile, but was well worth it.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the info.
I tried to delete my post after a few answers but no luck.
Moderator can you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.