IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mid 80's Slide Rite fiberglass drift boat that needs some work on the bottom. Nothing major, just scrapes from the 20+ years of banging rocks.

Is there anything I can do to re-surface the bottom and prolong the life of the boat?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
If Slide Rite is still in business, contact them first. If not, then try Clackacraft. Glass is glass, and they will know hot to do it.

Good Luck.

Mark and the dog.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
I had mine done at about ten years old by clackacraft (it was made by them), owner told me I was wasting my coin. Strictly cosmetic, I would have agree that it ain't worth it.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
if it ain't broke, don't fix it. if it's ugly, well it's just the bottom of the boat. the only time i would be concerned about it is if you're beginning to see cracks on the inside of the bottom of the boat.

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
I've always heard that glass shouldn't need anything. If it's worn thin enough that light passes through the worn spot, that needs a patch. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like it isn't too big of deal right now.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Yes its cosmetic, but every 5 years or so I'll flip my boat over and grind out the soft spots and fill with epoxy or if its large I'll add some cloth. Any cloth showing is damage, its always best to cover it up.

plus its like washing your car, it makes it go faster!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts