IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've sanded the two layers of paint off of the boat and some of the original gelcoat. there are some voids and pits on the outside of the boat. before i start painting, i want the surface smooth and fair. so far, i've been using system 3 epoxy thickened with wood flour to fill in these pits but i'm hoping to find something better.

i've done autobody work in the past and know that normal pit filler gets crusty and stiff. the problem is that the boat itself is flexible, more in some places less in others. the epoxy puts me under time and temperature constraints and the wood flour can make it difficult to get into the smaller pits. is there a material i can use that remains somewhat flexible in a wide variety of temperatures that is paintable? i'm thinking that i might be able to get away with paintable caulk but don't know how it's going to hold up over the long run.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Call Clackacraft, Lavro, or Hyde.

They do this stuff all the time. They will know the cool way to get it done.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Marine-Tex

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ampersat,
Evercoat Marine offers a number of products for repairs of fiberglass and wood. I know some of their stuff is available at GI Joes .

Here is a link to their product website also.

Evercoat Marine Products

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
261 Posts
For small pitting that is not compromising structural integrity, you might try a high build sandable primer if you are going to paint over it.

Try Pettit Marine Paints website for a description of their above and below waterline primers:

http://www.pettitpaint.com/products.asp

Pettit Paints are good quality and can be found at West Marine, GI JOES, and FMS.

MIKE!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts