IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a commercial for these shells and had to try them. They are steel loads that have a mix of regular steel shot and a mix of special steel shot that have a razor rib around the pellet. These pellets are supposed to have superior penetration. I bought a box of 3" 2's for westside pheasant and ducks. Today I shot a rooster at about 40 yards with one and it folded nicely. When I cleaned it there were five pellets that had completely went trhough the bird. They seem to be a very potent load and I am going to shoot them again tomorrow.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Huntncoug,

The pellets with a ridge aren't supposed to add penetration. Those pellets are there to provide a wound cavity. Steel pellets just pop a hole through the bird. They don't deform, flatten or do anything to help kill. It would be like shooting a big game animal with a FMJ rifle load. It can still kill, but isn't the most effective. The ribs on these loads actually spin when going through a bird creating an actual wound cavity, and this is the reason for the added killability.

John

·
Registered
656 Posts
I used them in 3 1/2 in Triple B's for early goose...Knocked dead out of the sky out 20 yards:jester:....I really liked them seemed like they had good penetration...Sometime with normal kents the geese will be shaking some leg when they hit the ground..The black cloud knocked em dead no shake n bake

·
Registered
894 Posts
Huntncoug,

The pellets with a ridge aren't supposed to add penetration. Those pellets are there to provide a wound cavity. Steel pellets just pop a hole through the bird. They don't deform, flatten or do anything to help kill. It would be like shooting a big game animal with a FMJ rifle load. It can still kill, but isn't the most effective. The ribs on these loads actually spin when going through a bird creating an actual wound cavity, and this is the reason for the added killability.

John
Have you bought any yet? I seem to remember there being a picture on the box of the steel cutting farther thru the gel test stuff they use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts