IFish.net banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
When I was a teenager I got to fish in Labrador for Brook Trout in their native range. The fish were huge, aggressive, and abundant. I didn't realize how special an experience it was at the time, but I do now. Big Northern Pike too. I'd go back in a second.

For future bucket list trips I'm going to make it to Kamchatka for trout, steelhead, and White Spotted Char. Another trip will be to Mongolia for Taimen before I'm done.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Rainbow Alley on the upper end of Babine lake is another on my ‘need to fish’ list to catch big rainbows stripping clouser patterns with the outgoing sockeye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The St. Joe and Couer D'Alene are magnificent rivers, I spent a week fishing them both. If I went back I would take a sink tip and strip some big aggressive streamers through some of the bigger water down low (Couer D'Alene I believe)

I plan to do a Mongolia trip for Taimen, and a patagonia trip. Some of my best nights fishing though have been on the Deschutes. When I find the evening caddis hatch, the smell of sage and juniper in the air, and a pod of big meaty red sides I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When I was a teenager I got to fish in Labrador for Brook Trout in their native range. The fish were huge, aggressive, and abundant. I didn't realize how special an experience it was at the time, but I do now. ...

Man, back East I grew up exploring secret little creeks for C&R of 5"-9" native Brookies. I'd read those magazine articles about Labrador Brook Trout and it just seemed unbelievable that they could grow that big.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great thread so many fish so little time! Yellowstone area is hard to beat have fished there a week a few times but could easily spend a whole summer there.

Surprised NZ has not come up yet spent we our honeymoon there for a month which included a week at TAZ, this 25 years ago. Want to go back soon hope access is still reasonable nowadays not sure. When we were there it seemed pretty open and locals were so friendly and was actually our best memory of all.

Upper columbia is where I want to go too looks really cool.

·
Registered
37,307 Posts
Angelo: NZ isn't exactly foreign fisherman friendly. The decent fishing isn't very handy and is contingent on time of year. Rivers there are very sterile and don't have much for resident populations. Yea, the videos are cool to watch but the average Joe isn't going to find those places without knowing somebody. Montana and some other domestic places have a lot more to offer.

·
Super Moderator
9,059 Posts
Idaho's Silver Creek, on the Nature Conservancy, is arguably the worlds finest, most beautiful, public spring creek. It's the most difficult place to properly present a dry fly during a hatch to large feeding trout that I have fished.

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No arguing about that claim and very nice pics.

Idaho's Silver Creek, on the Nature Conservancy, is arguably the worlds finest, most beautiful, public spring creek. It's the most difficult place to properly present a dry fly during a hatch to large feeding trout that I have fished.

Reactions: Snapt

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love Central Oregon, NE Oregon, Olympic Peninsula, Idaho, the Green River in Utah, Lee’s Ferry, and Montana. Cant choose a favorite, too many good memories at each. But if I had a gun to my head I guess I’d pick two. Rock Creek, Mt and the Deschutes.

I really want to fish BC for trout and steelhead. Also would like to spend some more time in Idaho on the Snake. I also enjoy chironomid fishing a lot so any lakes I can try to crack the chironomid code I am in heaven

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personal Favorites are #@$! Creek in Oregon & probably the Deschutes & Metolius for trout.

This year, Crescent Lake for Mackinaw is on the list as well as Miller & Paulina for big meat eating Browns....I have plenty of big flies that I tie up for tiger muskies and large smallmouth, so I'm good to go there, just need to get out there at the right time.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Ok my personal favorite is my back yard , the Willamette river metro. I fly fish from the back of a sea doo in the dead of summer with my 3wt. Got it dialed. I catch mature small mouth on minnow streamers, cray fish patterns and top water frogs .

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I'd love to go back to some of the little streams and rivers that fed directly into the Gulf of Alaska that got loaded with silvers and throw deer hair poppers at them again like I got to do guiding for Rainbow King Lodge one summer. Or float and fish the Copper River when the fat rainbows have moved in from the lake in the fall.

And the bucket list area to fish has always been Kamchatka.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'd love to go back to some of the little streams and rivers that fed directly into the Gulf of Alaska that got loaded with silvers and throw deer hair poppers at them again like I got to do guiding for Rainbow King Lodge one summer. Or float and fish the Copper River when the fat rainbows have moved in from the lake in the fall.

And the bucket list area to fish has always been Kamchatka.
BlackDog, Those fall Rainbows that come up out of Lake Illiamna are something indeed. They are like Steelhead. Translucent, healthy, beautiful, strong, and BIG. I was the Copper River outcamper during the '96 season, if I remember the year correctly. They were a real surprise when they began to show up in the lower river. Seemed like a completely different race of fish. Thanks for the blast from the past, CopperMan.

Reactions: blackdog

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I was the Copper River outcamper during the '96 season, if I remember the year correctly.
Wait a minute........are you saying you worked for RKL during the '96 season???? The same season I was up there??? I spent some outcamp days out on the Kamishak. The off days running over to the Little Kamishak were also some of the most unbelievable days EVER, fishing over huge schools of silvers that likely never saw another angler ever.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
My favorite place I've been is the SF of the Snake. I've floated the lower section twice (multi-day floats) and the fishing was nothing short of spectacular. Catching large cutthroat, rainbows, and browns in the same day with dries, streamers, and nymphs was something else. I remember pulling the drift boat up to a mid-channel riffle and seeing what looked to be bars of gold stacked just downstream where the water smoothed out. Those bars of gold turned out to be hundreds of cutthroat sipping bugs as they came through the wash. Even a hack like me lost count of how many fish I caught, easily hooking 30-40 a day and that was with considerable libation breaks. I'll be back.

I really want to do the Chilean king fishery. Hooking into 40-60 pound Chinook with a two-hander is just about my idea of heaven.

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
If Marion Lake was still what it once was, I'd spend the entire summer there starting at ice out.

If we are going that route, I'd say Crane Prairie in it's hey day. Pre pontoon boats killing ice chests of big wild fish per day for months (years) on end. Pre Cormorant infestation. Pre bucket biologist infestation. Hundreds of Damsels crawling out and hatching ON YOUR BOAT. Sipping trout as far as you can see. Any fool could hook BIG, WILD trout. I know, because I did. I know people say it's as good as it ever was......I don't think it's even a shadow of what it once was, IMHO.

There are other places in Oregon that I love, but I don't talk about them.

Reactions: garyk

·
Registered
37,307 Posts
Alsea... Those Cutts certainly are unique. Always wanted to go there too. Have seen a few videos of what I assume is the SF and it looks like a blast.

Wreckless... I don't talk about them either.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Owens river near Bishop, California. Was nymphing, but other than it being way to hot, was a great day. Wife gave me a guided trip for a present. Floating the Green River was a treat. Planning a Northern Idaho trip this summer. Couple weeks. Take the boat for Pend Oreille and the kayaks for the North CDR river and also some Clark Fork time. Then go south to the Caldwell area and fish where I did as a kid at my uncles store. His upholstery shop was built spanning the stream. Always remember the Madison in Yellowstone. Caught my first dry fly trout there.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts