IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be fun....
A memorable destination you've fished, and, where you'd like to go.

I've fished Alberta's Bow River several times including two overnight trips. The Bow has the largest 'average' trout of any river I've experienced.

Where to go? I've been wanting to visit far NE Washington/Idaho border for St Joe River, Kelly Creek, Lochsa and other cutthroat rivers.

How about you?

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,599 Posts
Favorite Trout Destinations...Where You've Been & Where You Want to Go?

I would recommend that everyone stay away from West Yellowstone, MT. It’s a horrible place and the fish are small!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
For places I have been there are a couple Canada and the Grand Ronde would tie for first. Places to go would be Tiera Del Fuego for sea run browns

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
As a young man I cut my teeth fly fly fishing for Grayling in the Big Delta valley AK. Grandpa Used to drive us up to fish Anaheim lake BC in the summer. The fly fishing is spectacular. Now I fish Western Montana every year while my daughter attends theater camp:) Bitterroot, Rock creek, Clark fork, Black foot. flint creek Gorge town lake and Hebegen reservoir are my happy place. Did some fly in fishing for Dolly Varden out of Juneau that got me hooked on casting at the bear grass. I want to fish the Henry's fork area in ID and chase Dolly Varden ,and trout around lake Lliamna AK. I also hope to drive/ferry back to AK with my toy hauler fishing all the way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This might be fun....
A memorable destination you've fished, and, where you'd like to go.

I've fished Alberta's Bow River several times including two overnight trips. The Bow has the largest 'average' trout of any river I've experienced.

Where to go? I've been wanting to visit far NE Washington/Idaho border for St Joe River, Kelly Creek, Lochsa and other cutthroat rivers.

How about you?
I fished the Bow River back in June, 1988.
At that time, it was being called "the best dry fly fishing in North America".
It had rained just before we arrived. Our dry fly fishing was limited to the last day of a 3 day trip. We mostly fished large buggers with some flash tied in. Our largest fish of the trip was a 25" Brown. I did get a 20" Brown on a #16 Adams dry.
It is my understanding, that due to water quality changes that later took place, the size of the fish has declined compares to the halcyon days of the late 80's. Having said that, the fishing on the Bow is still considered excellent by ordinary standards.
To this day, that trip remains my most memorable experience in terms of
native trout fishing.
These day, I have a cabin on the Metolius and do most of my trout fishing there.
I am considering a trip to Patagonia for Sea Run Browns in 2022-- once international travel becomes normalized.
It's been on my "bucket list" for some time.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
The Bow river is definitely on my 'to fish' list. We've fished around Fernie a number of times but haven't made it over the mountain to the Bow, yet.

I'd also like to fish the Smith River in Montana (the canyon stretch that requires the lottery permit) and the Middle Fork Salmon river in Idaho.

Also planning to the upper Rogue around Shady Cove down towards Gold Hill. Just haven't fished that stretch yet and keep meaning to.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What a great thread. Thinking back I realized I've fished a lot of places. Three of my all time favorite fishing adventures are Baja in the Sea of Cortez just south of La Paz, Kamloops area in BC Canada, and Cascade Lakes here in Oregon.

In the 90s I fished Crane and Hosmer a LOT. I loved the Atlantic Salmon in Hosmer. I've never had fish hit so hard and not get hooked or break off. In Crane every cast was a chance at a fish of a lifetime. It's wild being tied to a 10lb Rainbow on a 5 wt. Not too many but they were there. Biggest landed was a 28 1/2" beauty that we estimated at 13 lbs. Lots in the 20 to 25" range.

I fished some of the lakes in the Kamloops area on our honeymoon 35 years ago. Revisited the area on our 30th anniversary / second honeymoon. First time we slept in the dirt, the second time we stayed in a nice hotel and I hired a guide.

Ahhh, Baja. My close friend and I have fished there at least once a year for 7 or 8 years. Mostly we go for a week in the late spring, May thru the first week in June. Rooster time. Every trip is different. Every day of each trip is different. You never know what surprises will spring up. One trip we didn't see a single Rooster Fish. Two trips I didn't hook any. We always caught lots of fish and had plenty to bring to the cooks. One week my friend and I landed 40 Roosters up to 25 lbs. The last couple of years the Roosters have been much bigger than I'm used to. Our group landed 8 to 10 fish in the 40 to 50 lb range, a couple in the 60 lb category. Year before last one angler caught one that his captain estimated at 75 lbs. The gentleman in this picture is 6'6" and weighs about 270 lbs.

Dorado. I love Dorado on a fly rod. They are one of the most open minded eating machines I've ever encounter and yet they can be so fickle at times. Beautiful and exotic when lit up.

And oh my, are they tasty.

Awe geeze, now I chomping to go. We have 2 weeks booked in April but may not be able to go .... well come back actually. Thanks GaryK for starting this thread. Roady, those are some beautiful healthy fish. Thanks everyone. I can't wait to see how this thread develops. Cheers, CopperMan.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

I stay here or the Hot Springs, Resort father up the valley if the wife is with me

You'll catch & release about 30 of these in a day. Some will be bigger, some smaller

And on the way home where else can you stop and grab a Buffalo Burger and a Huckleberry Shake?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

What a great thread. Thinking back I realized I've fished a lot of places. Three of my all time favorite fishing adventures are Baja in the Sea of Cortez just south of La Paz, Kamloops area in BC Canada, and Cascade Lakes here in Oregon.

In the 90s I fished Crane and Hosmer a LOT. I loved the Atlantic Salmon in Hosmer. I've never had fish hit so hard and not get hooked or break off. In Crane every cast was a chance at a fish of a lifetime. It's wild being tied to a 10lb Rainbow on a 5 wt. Not too many but they were there. Biggest landed was a 28 1/2" beauty that we estimated at 13 lbs. Lots in the 20 to 25" range.

I fished some of the lakes in the Kamloops area on our honeymoon 35 years ago. Revisited the area on our 30th anniversary / second honeymoon. First time we slept in the dirt, the second time we stayed in a nice hotel and I hired a guide.

Ahhh, Baja. My close friend and I have fished there at least once a year for 7 or 8 years. Mostly we go for a week in the late spring, May thru the first week in June. Rooster time. Every trip is different. Every day of each trip is different. You never know what surprises will spring up. One trip we didn't see a single Rooster Fish. Two trips I didn't hook any. We always caught lots of fish and had plenty to bring to the cooks. One week my friend and I landed 40 Roosters up to 25 lbs. The last couple of years the Roosters have been much bigger than I'm used to. Our group landed 8 to 10 fish in the 40 to 50 lb range, a couple in the 60 lb category. Year before last one angler caught one that his captain estimated at 75 lbs. The gentleman in this picture is 6'6" and weighs about 270 lbs.

Dorado. I love Dorado on a fly rod. They are one of the most open minded eating machines I've ever encounter and yet they can be so fickle at times. Beautiful and exotic when lit up.

And oh my, are they tasty.

Awe geeze, now I chomping to go. We have 2 weeks booked in April but may not be able to go .... well come back actually. Thanks GaryK for starting this thread. Roady, those are some beautiful healthy fish. Thanks everyone. I can't wait to see how this thread develops. Cheers, CopperMan.

I have to say I believe Dorado are my favorite fish to catch and eat. My father-in-law used to own a condo in Cabo and owned a boat that he leased out through Redrum Charters. My wife and I spent our honeymoon down there and caught marlin, tuna, and dorado.

One day, we were watching a sea turtle hanging out on the surface, when I noticed a dorado circling underneath it. I grabbed a rod and the fish tried to destroy my lure on the first cast. Gorgeous buck around 45 lbs. It was bleeding pretty good, so we kept it.

Since my wife doesn’t really eat fish, I gave most of the fish to the crew along with their tip, but kept a small fillet for myself. The Captain told me to take the fish to his aunt’s restaurant and she would cook the best fish I’d ever have. Man oh man was he right! She made the most delicious cilantro lime dorado that I’ve yet to replicate. Mmmmmmmm

Unfortunately, my FiL sold his condo and boat a few years after that, and we didn’t get a chance to go down there again. I’ve caught a few dorado off of Isla Mujeres and they’ve been extremely tasty and extremely fun to catch.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

One experience that my son and I will never forget:

One day while fishing the Lamar river inside of Yellowstone park, we were completely surrounded by thousands of Buffalo. Thankfully, they were done with their rut and didn’t pay too much attention to us. It was about two hours before we could safely make our way back to my truck. I wish I would have taken some better pictures, but I purposely didn’t take that many, because I didn’t want my wife to freak out. Haha! You can see some of them in this pic, but eventually they lined the bank in those trees.

The Firehole river was another memorable one. The Buffalo weren’t as close, but there was something very cool about catching trout, on a cold morning after it snowed, next to volcanic thermal vents.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

I stay here or the Hot Springs, Resort father up the valley if the wife is with me

You'll catch & release about 30 of these in a day. Some will be bigger, some smaller

And on the way home where else can you stop and grab a Buffalo Burger and a Huckleberry Shake?

That is an awesome area. We might make a short trip over there in May.

In the meantime, I think I’ll dig some huckleberries out of the freezer and make some shakes this afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Thinking about the question some more and if money were no object and my health a little better the steelhead project in Kamchatka would be another top choice

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have fished all around Yellowstone and almost all the great cutthroat streams in Idaho. Fished the San Juan a few times. Nice fish but not my cup of tea.
Fished a lot up in BC. So many lakes, it would be hard to fish them all in a lifetime.
The Seep lakes in eastern WA used to produce really nice fish. We caught fish up to 8 lbs and this was well before Triploids became the in thing in Washington.
Those fry plant fish fought like crazy. Sad to see those lake are a shadow of their former selves.

If I had three places to go to fish trout, it would be Alaska, Patagonia or Kamchatka.
That said, I haven’t fished for trout in years. At least freshwater trout.
SF

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Fished a lot up in BC. So many lakes, it would be hard to fish them all in a lifetime.

The Seep lakes in eastern WA used to produce really nice fish. We caught fish up to 8 lbs and this was well before Triploids became the in thing in Washington.
Those fry plant fish fought like crazy. Sad to see those lake are a shadow of their former selves.

If I had three places to go to fish trout, it would be Alaska, Patagonia or Kamchatka.
That said, I haven’t fished for trout in years. At least freshwater trout.
SF
I've read and heard that there are nearly a thousand lakes within an hour of the city of Kamloops. Currently a really good fly fishing destination. I was considering buying a place near Kamloops.

Oh boy, the Seep Lakes bring back great memories. We hit them in the hay days of the early to mid 90s. What great fishing.

I guided in AK and it broke my need to fish for several years. Yes, the fishing was that good. I agree with you SF, I'd love to see Kamchatka but I doubt if I ever will. My wife and I were in the Peace Corps in Nepal '87-'90. I was able to fish in Kashmir before civil strife essentially closed it down. I really wanted to fish in Bhutan, but it was and still is prohibitively expensive.

Keep it coming everyone! I really enjoy reading about everyone's experiences. Thanks!! CopperMan.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My favorite, hands down, is fly fishing the lower Rogue for half pounders as summer tails off into fall. I grew up along the river, guided there for a while, and after fishing other places, to me, nothing even comes close.

Couple other places I enjoyed the little I've fished them and would love to go back to are the McKenzie and upper Williamson. On the McKenzie I'd like to do a half day or day with Jeff Helfrich guiding. I used to just bank fish up near Blue River when I lived in Eugene 25 years ago or so. On the Williamson, I'd like to do a 3 day 2 night stay at Yamsi Ranch. I fished it a little down by the 49 road a time or two. Friends have been chased off at gun / knife -point and think I'm crazy to go there.

I'd like to fish Kelly Creek and the North Fork of the Clearwater. I drove through the area once, truly beautiful, but failed to wet a line. Oops.

I have not fished the Chetco but I'd like to .. hike in fly fishing in the upper stretches, Box Canyon Creek, Tincup Creek, and the main Little Chetco around Madstone Cabin. No idea why, just catches my attention.

The Donner und Blitzen river could be fun. Same for upper reaches of the Malheur and Crooked river systems.

There are some streams in northern California I'd like to fish .. but they are in California.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've read and heard that there are nearly a thousand lakes within an hour of the city of Kamloops. Currently a really good fly fishing destination. I was considering buying a place near Kamloops.

Oh boy, the Seep Lakes bring back great memories. We hit them in the hay days of the early to mid 90s. What great fishing.

I guided in AK and it broke my need to fish for several years. Yes, the fishing was that good. I agree with you SF, I'd love to see Kamchatka but I doubt if I ever will. My wife and I were in the Peace Corps in Nepal '87-'90. I was able to fish in Kashmir before civil strife essentially closed it down. I really wanted to fish in Bhutan, but it was and still is prohibitively expensive.

Keep it coming everyone! I really enjoy reading about everyone's experiences. Thanks!! CopperMan.

Has anyone visited "Peter Hope" lake. Back in the old days, it was
run by a character with the last name of "Gold". It was a fly fishing only lake in the Kamloops area.
Also, does anyone remember the "Corbett Lake Country Inn" near Merritt, BC
Peter McVeigh the guy who ran it, was a gourmet chef from England.
He served upscale meals in the dinning room there.
He had a mounted Steelhead, behind the bar, from the Thompson River.
The Steelhead was identified as being 22 pounds. This was back around 1980, before the Thompson run fell off a cliff.

One of my most memorable fish was on the Dean River.
In 2005, I played an estimated 20 pound Steelhead, on a single handed rod,
for 20 minutes. It thrashed on the surface at the very end and got off.

In 1977, I hiked into a remote lake in WA and caught Golden Trout.
One was around 1 1/2 pounds. As it came from a lake with no natural reproduction, I kept it and had it mounted.

Finally, someone mentioned the Yamsi Ranch. I fished there in June, 1989.
IMO, it was very difficult fishing. Although big fish were present, we didn't
catch any. The mosquitoes, in the evening, were horrendous.

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I fished the Bow River back in June, 1988.
At that time, it was being called "the best dry fly fishing in North America".
It had rained just before we arrived. Our dry fly fishing was limited to the last day of a 3 day trip. We mostly fished large buggers with some flash tied in. Our largest fish of the trip was a 25" Brown. I did get a 20" Brown on a #16 Adams dry.
It is my understanding, that due to water quality changes that later took place, the size of the fish has declined compares to the halcyon days of the late 80's. Having said that, the fishing on the Bow is still considered excellent by ordinary standards.

These day, I have a cabin on the Metolius and do most of my trout fishing there.
Hello Nick,

Perhaps we were both at the the late 1980's Hughe's-Hafele-Bunse slideshows (remember carousel slide projectors?) documenting this new found dry-fly nirvana?

The good news is the Bow is now C&R for trout (used to be a 2-fish limit) and no bait other than during a short winter Whitefish season. After our 2019 trip I'd say the average size is actually larger than in the early 1990's when we made our first trips there.

Love the Metolius. You can set your watch to the Green Drake hatch.

·
Banned
3,912 Posts
Anywhere big trout can be caught on large streamers or attractor dry flies, nymphing gets boring.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Nick,

Perhaps we were both at the the late 1980's Hughe's-Hafele-Bunse slideshows (remember carousel slide projectors?) documenting this new found dry-fly nirvana?

The good news is the Bow is now C&R for trout (used to be a 2-fish limit) and no bait other than during a short winter Whitefish season. After our 2019 trip I'd say the average size is actually larger than in the early 1990's when we made our first trips there.

Love the Metolius. You can set your watch to the Green Drake hatch.

garyk,

I do remember the carousel projectors. I gave several slide shows based on my own trip to the Bow.
Happy to hear the size of the fish has not declined, as I had once read.
I didn't ever attend the slide shows you reference. However, I do remember that the hype involving fishing on the Bow, back in the day, was extraordinary. The press coverage was not limited to fly fishing magazines.
General interest magazines, such as Esquire, carried glowing articles.
In 1988, when I went, we stayed at a Best Western in Calgary.
In the morning, guide boats were lined up down the street and around the corner waiting for clients. It was pretty amazing.

Yes, the Metolius is famous for the Green Drakes.
I started "euro nymphing" on the Metolius last year.
My catch rate has increased dramatically.
Some people claim it's "not fly fishing".
I have found it to be a blast. To each his own.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts