IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with all of these salmon being caught what is the Best fillet knife with at least a 9" blade and were can I Find one?

The old Kershaw has seen beter days :grin: . I did do a search but did not find much info. Thanks in Advance Ross

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have a Buck and a Kommer's(sp) Big Eddy. I like them both but I use the big eddy more than the buck. Also it is concave on one side(I can't for the life of me remember what this is called
). I think it helps with skinning a bit. Generally I just like the way it feels and I think it holds a better edge. Both are good knives. Not sure where I got either of them though, sorry. I have had them both for years and I can barely remember what I did last week
. Just my .02

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Forschner when I am not in the boat. Dexter Russel when I am in the boat. Gerber Coho if I can ever find one again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have to also go with the Forschner. I had the 12" model first but it was a little more than I wanted. So I sent it back and got the 10" instead. Never had a knife that cuts as good as this.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have a 12" Forschner and wouldn't trade it for any dexter. You have to keep them sharp. I have a high end electric sharpner that works great. Touch up once and a while with the diamond.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trap50, is that the salmon slicer :shrug:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Quick Fisher - Alas, it is not. The Gerber Coho was a fillet knife discontinued by Gerber that had a great fillet blade and a spoon built into the handle. I had one for many years but misplaced it (It may have gone out with the newspaper i was using to clean fish on). I sure miss it.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I didn't believe it until I purchased one, but the Cutco Fisherman's Solution is bye far superior to any other knife that I have tried. Though for filleting Salmon I like the Miracle Blade Slicer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have an old J.Marttiini, started out as a 9 inch blade, down to about 8 inches now. not bad for a 30+ year old knife. Carry an old Oregon made Kershaw on the boat. when it comes time to replace them will still go with the new Marttiini Condor Martef Filleting knife.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use a hefty Dexter for bottom fish, and a 9 inch Kershaw for salmon. The Kershaw is thin enough to debone completely without much meat loss. They are a bargain at under $20(with sheath) at Bimart. I got the Dexter at englund Marine for less than $20(no sheath).

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Frosts .... available at Yakutat Hardware. Four or six inches.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Cutco is great. Look at ebay for deals. Service is great too. I broke a blade and received a replacement free, with no questions.

SureSet

1 - 20 of 25 Posts