IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping some of you masters out there would like to share your favorite, corky and yarn rig for boondogging the Cow, I know we dont all use eggs.

My favorite is five foot leader, #4 Gami and two 3/4" tufts of yarn, so it puffs up real well and keeps it fairly bouyant. Shrimp Pink fluffy Glo Yarn.

It works o.k, I have caught personally over 65 in one week on the cow using this setup. Nope you dont need a corky.

Well , good luck.

Oh ya, I use my fair share of bait, though.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
i like the pink pearl corkie w/ a very small pice of pink yarn to hold some scent also i use a pink pearl corkie on top os a small sand shrimp tail it looks prety good in the water :grin: good luck and tight lines :cheers:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, thats sounds like a good rig, I have to say i love fishing the Cowlitz, or just boonin, for that matter. I love using bait, but it hasnt produced as many times as corky and yarn or just yarn, I think being able to set the hook on anything that resembles even the slightest bite and not having to change bait all the time really helps.

I gotta say i also like the purple scale corkie size 10 or 12 and a little champagne colored yarn with shrimp scent on it really works good to. Oh ya, dont forget the really small shrimp tail every now and then. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
also the glitter flo red and some white yarn work w/ the secret shrimp oil (mikes) but i like to drift shrimp and small clusters of eggs Good Luck and Tight lines :cheers:

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
My personal summer favorite for the Cowlitz is a pear-clown corkie tipped with cerise yarn on a #4 Gama-K :wink:

I usually tie up about a five-foot leader, but as often as not, I'll end up shortening it as condition require

'Nother little trick I like is to weave a strand of Krystal-Flash into the knot when I tie my egg-loops. It's easy to do. Just slip a strand of the Krystal-Flash through the eye of the hook, fold it double facing towards the rear and tie your knot over it.

On the Cow, I usually fish my corkies without bait, but rub 'em with shrimp/anise Smelly Jelly. On the North Fork of the Lewis though, it's sand-shrimp all the way. :grin:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, those are some good ideas and awesome set ups, I also like to take and buy the 41 to 50 count raw prawns that arent deveined and peel them and put them in a ziplok bag and put just a little pro cure, the bright stuff and shake them up, let it sit for a couple of minutes, rinse out the bag in the river, just dip it in a few times until you have light pink or clear water, but bright red prawns. I like to pinch of a good piece smash it up just a little between my fingers for softer texture and to form ball shape, kinda like eggs. This works great, they stay on the hook good and sometimes you can outfish anything else, but that depends on the day of course, you know how it is sometimes.

Thats a quick way to have good bait all day for boonin, or whatever and you can pick them up at Safeway in the morning, no running around trying to find bait. Also they are nice and heavy for extra long casts to keep you a litle further away if the fish are spooky. Well gotta go to work, good luck. Ill be down at Blue Creek, monday or tuesday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts