IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Bacon wrapped filets and twice baked potatoes from Whites Meat Market , cooked all on a cheap little bbq. Easy and no mess! We always take turns making dinners and everybody looks forward to mine.

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
A can of Dinty Moore beef stew that’s steaming hot on one side and cold on the other because you’re too busy celebrating filling your tag to remember to rotate the can on the rock by the fire.
The Dinty Moore stew thing reminded me what a coworker mentioned about this guy that worked with him for years managing construction projects. He told this story that this guy only ate Dinty Moore beef stew and canned peas every meal of the day. He had usually two cases of Dinty Moore and peas under his desk at all times. In the off season he traveled to China as his hobby was steam locomotives. In China he had acquired a reputation as a steam engine expert and was in demand to oversee maintenance and rebuilds of old locomotives. Since China had no Dinty Moore available, he always arranged for a pallet shipment of the stuff so it would be there when he arrived. I thought I was having my leg pulled but it turned out to true. Oh yeah, I should tell you this guy was very wealthy having acquired housing units around college campus's like U of O.

·
Brood stock
6,403 Posts
The Dinty Moore stew thing reminded me what a coworker mentioned about this guy that worked with him for years managing construction projects. He told this story that this guy only ate Dinty Moore beef stew and canned peas every meal of the day. He had usually two cases of Dinty Moore and peas under his desk at all times. In the off season he traveled to China as his hobby was steam locomotives. In China he had acquired a reputation as a steam engine expert and was in demand to oversee maintenance and rebuilds of old locomotives. Since China had no Dinty Moore available, he always arranged for a pallet shipment of the stuff so it would be there when he arrived. I thought I was having my leg pulled but it turned out to true. Oh yeah, I should tell you this guy was very wealthy having acquired housing units around college campus's like U of O.
Can’t imagine what his blood pressure and cholesterol levels were like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
S8nce we've gone away from best and just what we do.... when I'm camping by myself I do a pint jar of canned venison and a half bag of boiled egg noodles. I'll add whatever is handy. Sometimes eat it in a tortillas. Good, quick dinner.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
My dad and uncles would make what they called "spittoon stew". On the last day, everything that was left went into a skillet/pot. Eggs, meat (bacon, sausage, burger, steak....), cheese, tomatoes, potatoes. It was awesome!!!! Like someone said, it was half ambiance, half hunger, all delicious!

I once had Columbia river Walleye shore lunch once with a guy from the midwest. That was memorable.

My late friend Dale's special camp dinner was Jamaican jerked chicken. He'd prepare/marinade it in the morning. Habanero's, fresh ginger, soy sauce...... Then we'd BBQ after fishing all day. Man that was good. It took 3 - 4 beers to cool that off!
Yes, it was worth it.

Reactions: Amahnee

·
Registered
513 Posts
We pre freeze the following days before he head out to hunt camp. Some of the staples are

Lazag
stuffed game hens
clam chowda
gumbo
meat balls
roast beef
to name a few

Reactions: nehalemguy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another one. Frito burritos. Venison Burge taco meat. Lots of diced onions. Jalapeno cheese dip. Chili cheese fritos. Rolled up in the biggest tortillas you can find. Big ol greasy mess. Baby wipes in pack mandatory.
Baby wipes hell I could track everyone of you thirty yards from camp hunkered down spraying mud after that meal….

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
We eat pretty good in camp. Burgers, BBQ steaks, smothered pork chops, Chili Mac with homemade Mac and chili, tacos. When you primarily hunt with family, mom and grandma make sure we are well fed. And any cookies brought to camp have to be homemade, no store bought for us.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Baby wipes hell I could track everyone of you thirty yards from camp hunkered down spraying mud after that meal….
[/QU
You get it out real early so you're not weighed down all day. Kind of an elk camp cleanse.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts