IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's mine.
Shoot a grouse or 3. Chunk breast meat. Separate thigh and drum. Cook a couple pieces of bacon in big pot. Brown bird meat in bacon grease. Dump 1 or 2 cans of Campbell's chunky chicken and dumpling soup in depending on how many you're feeding. Top soup with a can of biscuits dough. Cook 20ish minutes til biscuits are done. Legs will still be chewy but good. Kids really like it, especially if they shot the birds

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deer or elk heart on a cast iron skillet. And another night, liver and onions.
Heart is definitely on the menu. I clean it up good. Slice like steak fingers. Dredge in flour then egg and Ritz cracker crumbs. Fry in butter/bacon grease. Good stuff.

I'm actually looking forward to being the old guy/camp cook in a few years. Just hang out, cut firewood, drink beer, cook dinner.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Elk heart is definitely my favorite camp meal.

I also like to Sous Vide a bunch of elk steaks or roast and dry rub them and put them in a zip lock at home. Just sear the outsides and your GTG in just a few minutes.

If I’ve got some time, I like corned elk and sweet potato hash. Severed with a runny fried egg on top.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I have a few, and many of them involve bacon, a campfire and a pot of coffee.
Just like eating in a fine restaurant, the environment or "ambiance" matters!
Few things better than the "aromas" of a crisp outdoor-woodsy morning, a little woodsmoke, bacon sizzling and a pot o' coffee.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My go to biscuits and gravy:
Dutch oven (I hang over the fire with a cast tripod so I can adjust elevation)
Crumble wild game sausage (venison is great, antelope is better, any sausage will do) and fry in dutch
Mix 2 pouches of gravy in cold water and pour in dutch (canned gravy or gravy from scratch will work), add extra milk as needed, gravy will thicken...a lot
Add raw canned biscuits (flaky are my preferred)...you can place them in whole or break them up "dumpling" style
Let simmer with lid on, checking every 5 minutes and spinning biscuits, mixing gravy so as not to burn...usually takes about 20-25 minutes, don't want to cook too hot too fast or it turns into burnt bottoms and wet cement gravy
Continue adding milk as needed to keep from cement consistency
When almost done, crack eggs over top (as many as you like), return lid and let eggs cook about 5 more minutes
Serve with tobasco, cheese (if desired), a good napkin, and good chance of soft TP within a couple of hour (depending on quantity of eggs and type of sausage).

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
A bag of Mountain House stroganoff from the seat bag of my ATV parked high on a ridge using my binos and spotting scope looking for a spring bear. I like to make apple Chrisp and instant latte for dessert with the rest of the water in the jet boil, then roll my own cig and figure out how to get back to camp.

·
Brood stock
6,389 Posts
I’ve stopped putting a lot of effort into hunting food. Takes too much time, wastes space, makes a mess, requires more gear. Simple stuff and freeze dried for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Heart is definitely on the menu. I clean it up good. Slice like steak fingers. Dredge in flour then egg and Ritz cracker crumbs. Fry in butter/bacon grease. Good stuff.

I'm actually looking forward to being the old guy/camp cook in a few years. Just hang out, cut firewood, drink beer, cook dinner.
I have tried to be that guy multiple times with my hunting group, I seem to always be found in the deepest canyon with meat on my back and not at camp cooking lol.

Elk heart is the best, can't be beat for a morning after kill meal. We spoil ourselves and hunting camp includes a treager and blackstone. Ribs, chicken, steaks, or the random grouse all find their way to the treager or blackstone.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Elk burgers from last year's season, shared with the guys who were on the hunt and put it all together. With a cold beer. And a shot of bourbon for dessert.

My kids like gas station doughnuts and pre-cooked bacon warmed up for breakfast. Stuff my wife would never let them eat at home, but keeps them going in the field all morning.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have tried to be that guy multiple times with my hunting group, I seem to always be found in the deepest canyon with meat on my back and not at camp cooking lol.

Elk heart is the best, can't be beat for a morning after kill meal. We spoil ourselves and hunting camp includes a treager and blackstone. Ribs, chicken, steaks, or the random grouse all find their way to the treager or blackstone.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I am with ya. Some may not call it camping, but we have the traeger and blackstone going most days in our camp and we typically eat better in the woods than at home. I have been known to Sous Vide backstrap steaks, then sear in a cast-iron skillet with bacon grease. Have not had anyone in camp complain yet.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts