IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
12,179 Posts
Baking powder does go stale pretty quick. If you are using that large Costco jar you bought 3 years ago you won't get the lift because the baking powder won't be potent enough to provide the lift.

I have played with adding yeast, make sure you bloom the yeast or it will not provide much lift.

I have found if you make baked products that use baking powder it is easier and you get better results if you purchase self rising flour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Last night was my first try with this recipe. We wound up eating the whole loaf. I used a Widmer Alchemy Pale Ale. There was a hint of the beer flavor in the bread, it was more concentrated in the crust. One thing I did was rub the crust with butter once out of the oven. We didn't have a 6x9 pan so I used a 4x8, seemed to work ok.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,050 Posts
Bill, I'm having some issues when I make this bread...........

Mine is coming out very dense (heavy if you will), is that how yours comes out?

If not, any ideas?
Bumping this up with some suggestions I've found that work great. Don't overmix! Sift or fluff up the dry ingredients before adding the beer and then barely mix enough to get most of the flour wet. If you work on this it will come out much lighter and fluffy. Mix a little of the melted butter in the dough instead of putting it all on top, helps keep it fluffier also. It's also great with garlic salt instead if salt, and dicing up some smoked Gouda into the dry mix before adding the beer makes it mouth watering good.

Here's the basic recipe I've been using lately and it has less baking powder and comes out fluffy. And a seared bluefin tuna sammy made with it.

Thanks Bill, it's a staple in my house now, can't hardly stand store bread and this is so easy.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,179 Posts
You can cut out half that recipe and make it even easier if you buy self rising flour.

It makes beer bread and biscuit making a lot easier when all you have to remember is three cups of self rising flour and 12 ounces of liquid/fats. Bread or biscuits you will be in the zone for scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Because I didn't want to waste my last favorite drinking beer to make bread with. The beer that I didn't care to drink actually makes a better loaf of bread than my favorite drinking beer.This lead to further bread making with all of the single bottles that had been left at my place after get togethers. Some made great bread, some were so so, but none made horrible bread.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,784 Posts
Thanks QR for the tips/recipe, I'll have to bake some up over the weekend................

Been having a craving for some homemade Manhattan style clam chowder and this bread would pair excellent with it...........

That tuna sammy looks awesome..........

21 - 40 of 54 Posts