IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
16,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to credit Texas friend Gatogordo for this fine recipe.
I used Widmer Drop Top Amber for the beer.

I absolutely love this recipe, assuming you've got warm beer on hand, it takes less than 15 minutes from start to oven and about an hour from components to warm bread in hand. Now that's my kind of recipe, especially when the end product is SOOOOOO good.

Frank's Beer Bread

....you must follow the directions to the letter or the dough will come out heavy instead of crisp.

Ingredients:

1) 3 Cups self-rising flour (my note: we don't normally keep self-rising flour on hand, if you're got the same problem, not to worry, simply remove 2 teaspoons (or don't, it's not that critical) from a CUP of your regular flour and add 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Be sure it is mixed well and Voila, one cup self-rising flour.)

2) 3 tablespoons granulated sugar

3) 1 12 oz can of your favorite beer (warm)(my note: by warm he means basically room temp, not heated. We had some Bud, we used the other day which was in the garage and was about 40 degrees, I stuck a bottle of it in my pocket until it warmed up to slightly cool feeling and used it with no problems)(second note: a heavier ale or stout might well change flavor of bread slightly, we haven't tried it and I kind of believe in drinking good beer, not cooking with it, but I might try it in the future)

4) 2 tablespoons butter

Mix everything except butter in a large bowl until the ingredients are perfectly blended. Do not overmix the dough, you just want it smooth. Grease and flour a 9x6 loaf pan (my note: we don't have a 9x6, we use two smaller ones we bake banana bread in, works fine) and put blended dough mixture into pan.

Next melt butter and pour it over dough, just dribble, don't push it into mix. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let stand on countertop at room temperature for 5 minutes to rise.

Then remove plastic wrap (my note: that's added from Frank's recipe for the very literal among us
, otherwise you will have plastic crust bread
) and put into preheated oven at 375 degrees. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown and crusty on top. Best eaten right out of oven, piping hot.

It doesn't get much better. To quote Frank, "You talk about good!"

· Registered
12,157 Posts
Still using the bud? A good hard cider works awesome to for those who don't like beer taste. My fav is making it with a good porter or some of the winter beers that are out now. Ebenezer makes great bread and pancakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,777 Posts
1) 3 Cups self-rising flour (my note: we don't normally keep self-rising flour on hand, if you're got the same problem, not to worry, simply remove 2 teaspoons (or don't, it's not that critical) from a CUP of your regular flour and add 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Be sure it is mixed well and Voila, one cup self-rising flour.)
Just to clarify, maybe it's my stuffed up cold head not getting it :D.......

If you don't have self-rising flour you would do this "make your own" 3 times for each cup needed to equal the 3 cups total of "self-rising" flour needed in the recipe correct?

· Registered
8,040 Posts
Made it again tonight, but to pair it with a shrimp noodle dish, I made it garlic beer bread. Used garlic salt instead of salt in my homemade self rising flour and added crushed garlic to the butter topper. I'm kinda comatose right now, me and my daughter kept eating more hot buttered bread instead of noodles and my noodles are darn good!

Thanks again Bill, this ranks right at the top of recipes I've got off here, along side tuna bombs.

Joe

Aluminumworksbyjd.com

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Made this bread to go with with a big pot of homemade split pea soup, it was the perfect side. I used Alaska Amber Ale.......................it was yum!

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Jeff, got a favorite split-pea soup recipe? I haven't made a batch in years. Perfect for this kind of weather.
Bill, I use the recipe on the back of the bag of split peas I buy here at our local Thriftway store as a base, then I add from there. It's a big hit around our family on those cold damp days.......

.....and the bread was the perfect compliment everyone thought.........

Having left-overs of both soup and bread today for lunch........

I'll put a recipe up in a few days.................

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Bill, I'm having some issues when I make this bread...........

Mine is coming out very dense (heavy if you will), is that how yours comes out?

If not, any ideas?

· Registered
16,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is pretty dense. Using the full 4 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder? I have considered adding some yeast and letting it rise a bit -- or using an unfiltered ale and letting it sit for an hour or two before baking.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts