IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the Morman Crickets, what is your go to bait for cats in this stretch of the Snake R.?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hands down Sonny's stink bait. Brought home 155 cats in 5 days in May from Farewell Bend. They ran from 3 lbs to 15 lbs.
where do you buy it from?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I've only been there a couple time's and only fishing for catfish a couple years now. Did a lot of bullheads years ago and favorite bait was beef liver, stays on the hook. Now with channels my favorite bait is chicken breast soaked in a bit of olive oil, garlic and strawberry kool aide. Works great here in the John Day River and I'd say it would work at Brownlee too. Another thing I tried was shrimp but never had any luck till couple night's ago. Took a friend along and he picked out a shrimp they I'd put in with the chicken breast and it marinated a day or so, in the fridge, in the chicken breast, it did turn red. No time at all and he'd caught the first catfish of his life. Fixed up some more I'm gonna try soon. Was at Brownlee one time with my son and forget what I was using then, probably beef liver and it worked alright. But my son got some of those mormon cricket's and cleaned my clock. Brought the left over's home and tried them here and not a thing. Sounds like over there about as good as you can do is crappie guts! Could be but I suspect the best thing to do is take along a few different things to try and see what's working for you. On any given day probably one does out fish the other and I'd say crappie guy's might be the best because they are already in there!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've only been there a couple time's and only fishing for catfish a couple years now. Did a lot of bullheads years ago and favorite bait was beef liver, stays on the hook. Now with channels my favorite bait is chicken breast soaked in a bit of olive oil, garlic and strawberry kool aide. Works great here in the John Day River and I'd say it would work at Brownlee too. Another thing I tried was shrimp but never had any luck till couple night's ago. Took a friend along and he picked out a shrimp they I'd put in with the chicken breast and it marinated a day or so, in the fridge, in the chicken breast, it did turn red. No time at all and he'd caught the first catfish of his life. Fixed up some more I'm gonna try soon. Was at Brownlee one time with my son and forget what I was using then, probably beef liver and it worked alright. But my son got some of those mormon cricket's and cleaned my clock. Brought the left over's home and tried them here and not a thing. Sounds like over there about as good as you can do is crappie guts! Could be but I suspect the best thing to do is take along a few different things to try and see what's working for you. On any given day probably one does out fish the other and I'd say crappie guy's might be the best because they are already in there!
I rarely fish for cats but I am surprised no one is using hot dogs for cat bait. Good packaging, stay on hook, no supply problem, no mess, bass won’t bother you, you can eat them yourself for lunch. I know they work but not how well they work.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I've never tried hot dog's but hear about them all the time! Wonder if there's anything a catfish won't eat?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Oh come on, everyone knows hot dogs are sturgeon bait... We actually caught sturgeon on them when testing a crazy bite a few years ago.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Years ago we killed them at Huntington on Chicken liver sat out in the sun for one day. Then we covered them with maggots for good measure. I'm not sure if maggots helped or not but we threw them on for good measure. Some guys say it helps if you then marinate the liver in cheap Italian dressing for 1 week but make sure you use original Lemon joy on hands first. However, we didn't have to try that technique.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Cut baits worked for us, even when cat fishing was considered slow. We simply caught crappie, cut them up into golf ball sized bits, and tossed em out. The best cat caught was on a whole head. We also caught them on night crawlers and anise mellows.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the fish cleaning station open?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts