IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to update my strategy and get a clearer picture of what to expect here on the coast.

I will once again be in a boat this fall after a long spell of bank fishing. Target: early fall nooks.

Two questions. When should one expect to see a worthy number of fish enter the rivers down here? (Siletz to Wilson and everything in between)

What would you vets recommend for a driftboater, with an electric motor in tidewater to use for gear (details please!) in order of preference.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tidewater in the river. EG Siletz up to cedar creek, Nestuc up to Cloverdale, Wilson river up to railroad bridge, tillamook river etc.

Ive seen a few chrome nooks (2) the smaller leader fish (theres a word for these guys, what is it?)

Im just looking for specifics of when to expect the fall fish in all these rivers from mouth upstream. And what people are using to get them.
Ive talked to a few siletz boaters but not one has hooked a fish that Ive talked to yet. No report from Coyote rock yet either. All these rivers opened to nook and a few to silvers Aug 1st. I am not one to wait for a million boats on the water as a sign of the fish being in.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Siletz is seeing a small # of fish coming in right now they have a Quite a few bait fish swiming around in tidewater. Making things a little wierd from years past atleast for me I don't remember all those bait fish before in there this time of year. They should be gone bye now? The water is still a little warm for my liking around 66-70degrees on Sat. and Sun. I saw 6 fish caught and one lost on Sat. and not one fish caught that I saw on Sun. If you want to hit the Siletz and you have time during the week just go and put your drifty in at Chinook Bend or Coyote Rock. (they both charge around 7-8 bucks for the launch) if you have a 24vlt 65 thrust or bigger you should have no problem trolling around with a purple lable cut plug and fish flash hit bottom with 3oz of lead then 4 cranks up... Thats what I have always done. This is a good time to explore the deep holes and look at the river before the annual labor day to mid-october boat show comes to town. Who knows if you go every day and just become consistent on your trolling technique you may be there when that blast of 500 fish come in and you with 5-10 other boats could be in for one a heck of a fun day. But beware as soon as the word gets out the boats will pile in like cord wood :smile: Thats all I got for the Siletz go now fish with low pressure and have fun there are some fish around 2-4 a day being caught off and on. Good Luck thats all the Info. I have on the Siletz. I'am tired I will let some others hopefully give you a little info. on the other rivers. Ohh yes and buy the way had to edit the post and tell you the small leader fish is called a Jack. Good night

[ 08-17-2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: GotFish? ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, is good to hear of the fish cought this weekend. Ill be there every night this week til sunset. (I live on the 4 mile marker.)

Not sure why I stumbled on the word "jack" Nooks on the brain!

So cut plug and quikfish are still the norm eh? What about coyote spoons and shrimnp spinner rigs?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You should spend the $$ to go fishing w/ O Mykiss (Grant) out there. By the time you get done on his boat, you'll have a good idea of how to catch them.

HC

[ 08-18-2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: half canuck ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive done well in the past, but I havnt been on these waters for a while other than some bank fishing this summer, and a few trips in January.

The driftboating thing is new to me though, and the Tillamook county waters are too.. looking for tips on when and where really, not so much how, but I welcome the zipper strategies anytime!

Grant Scheele? I cant afford that guy, hell I cant afford the eggs even :grin: Im sure he will invite me along one of these days. (I just havnt figured out how to manipulate an invite yet)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
RvW we catch them on the Siuslaw in tidewater, usually around the first of October. River fishing is better after some rain but until then the tidewater can be great with bobber and egg/shrimp combos. Standard bobbers with bobber stops do the trick. Before the rains hit its all about finding the cooler channels in the system.

Nice meeting you at the 'tucca saturday. Sunday it was more of the same.
kf

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
About the second week on Sept the tidewater sections on rivers like the Nestuc, Salmon, Siletz should be in full swing, but along with that you will have lots on company. In some holes if you have enough room due to lack of other fishers, of boat positioning you can fish many different methods till you find the 1 that they want at that time. Too much to get into tonight but we'll hook up.
Mikeymoto

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nitro,,nice meeting you as well. Any legitimate luck on the trip home?
Woke up Sunday: not even the customary Siletz fog at 4:45am ...poked one eye out the window and bagged the fishing plans, had more fun washing the dog.

Whatever posessed you to drive over and toss gear into a warm puddle is beyond me, but it was fun watching the bankies with thier puzzled stares as the lines with fish on the ends swam under, over and around thier own. Just another day at the puddle really. Is a hoot when they actually bite though, especially when your alone with a hundred fish.

I guess a certain few are upset with you for allowing the handcaught nook to escape without asking if anyone wanted it for thier table. :laugh: ( I stopped today and didnt even take the rod out of the truck and got an earfull)
Almost tried to explain that it was not something you'd want to eat, let alone feed your children. But I just shrugged and said "no comprend-ay"

Keep in touch, we'll have to fish worthy waters.

Thanks for the tip... the bobbers will soon be flyin for sure.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mikey...

Stopped at Coyote launch around 8:15...two boats loading up...river limits before 8 am. (they asked me to keep it quiet, so shhh!) :grin:

Went back at 4...no word in the office of any fish caught.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Seems reasonable, they should post the tally about Sept 15th for late July early August, 400- 30lb chinook caught! If they want to protect their fishery thats ok I understand, I really dont want to fight 250 boats this early in the season either. Check the board in Sept. they should update it by then.
MM :hoboy:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
RvW I'm not sure how we ended up at that puddle either. Call it a road trip gone wrong! That was quite a collection of characters. Its fun to see how its done around the state.

Sunday I got one legit fish, right at daylight. Saw one other biter taken out - caught on an unweighted sand shrimp tail. Other than that it was a lot of line rubs and upset fish with hooks in odd places. Stopped at the 3 rivers hatchery on the way back and its chuck full of steelies.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey kids..I happened to stop at three rivers today myself in an effort to add my name toi to the volunteer list...the "bigfish" tanks had only 50 or so of each, steel and Nooks. The steel looked healthy for the most part, all hens though, they were all a bit colored and none much bigger or smaller than the other. (6 or 7 pounders)
Spring nooks was a different story as you prolly imagine. hens and bucks. All very dark, some dead or very very close. Small side was about 8 lbs...big maybe 16..

One jack in the tank with them (where'd he come from?)

I didnt talk to anyone while I was there, but maybe they did another recycle run? Sure wish they wouldnt dump the nooks back in. But Im sure theres a good reason they do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts