IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Plugs, spinners, spoons, and beads are my preferred baits. Floats and Skein when those aren’t workin
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I go out west about every year on a fishing trip. Our next trip, we are interested in Washington or Oregon area.

Looking for a good place to get some fishing in for Steelhead, Salmon, or Trout. We would be hiking and wading. Throwing plugs, spoons, floats, or drifting beads/roe.

I’m looking for areas to start looking into so we can book a cabin/house for next fall.

We fish the salmon run in Michigan out of Lake Michigan. That’s what got my wife excited to chase some bigger fish.

We are open to any suggestions to areas and best dates to try and hit. I’m not familiar with PNW fish runs compared to ours here on the Great Lakes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Middle of October will provide best chance at coho and kings in good numbers for coastal streams.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Oregon sucks. You don't wanna come here. Tell your friends as well. There's no salmon to catch anymore. 🥸

·
Registered
Plugs, spinners, spoons, and beads are my preferred baits. Floats and Skein when those aren’t workin
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love Oregon! Haven’t been able to fish it yet though.
Kings are still fishable when the Coho are in? By us, the Kings are dead by the time coho push up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Plenty of options for hiking and wading but personally, if I was on vacation I'd hire a guide and get on a drift boat. Can fish from the boat and bank that way. Just my $.02. You'll be here in prime fishing season so the easier to find bank spots are going to be busy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My wife and I go out west about every year on a fishing trip. Our next trip, we are interested in Washington or Oregon area.

Looking for a good place to get some fishing in for Steelhead, Salmon, or Trout. We would be hiking and wading. Throwing plugs, spoons, floats, or drifting beads/roe.

I’m looking for areas to start looking into so we can book a cabin/house for next fall.

We fish the salmon run in Michigan out of Lake Michigan. That’s what got my wife excited to chase some bigger fish.

We are open to any suggestions to areas and best dates to try and hit. I’m not familiar with PNW fish runs compared to ours here on the Great Lakes.

Thanks!
Oregon's fishing is not like it was when I first became a resident of the state in 1992. However its one of the most beautiful states especially when it comes to the coast via Highway 101. There are many rivers in Oregon that have Salmon, Steelhead, and Trout on the coast. You just have to do a little research and make sure you read the fishing regulations, and online updates, as some streams are closed along the coast during the summer. Also stop in at sporting goods stores along the way and ask for local info. As far as timing goes September is a beautiful month in Oregon usually very little rain and the start of Salmon runs in some rivers and most rivers you can use bait after Sept, 1st.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oregon's fishing is not like it was when I first became a resident of the state in 1992. However its one of the most beautiful states especially when it comes to the coast via Highway 101. There are many rivers in Oregon that have Salmon, Steelhead, and Trout on the coast. You just have to do a little research and make sure you read the fishing regulations, and online updates, as some streams are closed along the coast during the summer. Also stop in at sporting goods stores along the way and ask for local info. As far as timing goes September is a beautiful month in Oregon usually very little rain and the start of Salmon runs in some rivers and most rivers you can use bait after Sept, 1st.
Would you suggest Early September or Late September for best weather to hike and fish? Also, what does the fish run look like of the various species, through the month of September on the west coast?

Around here on Lake Michigan, late August, the Kings stack up near the River mouths and start pushing up the rivers beginning of September. By the end of September, a lot of them are already dead. The Steelhead sneak in after the kings, with the Coho following that in Late October/Early November.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I’d do hatchery coho on the SW Washington tributary if I were planning a trip. Definitely hire a guide for at least one day.
The Oregon Coast is incredibly hit or miss when it comes to fall fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts