IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an eyeball report for Newport or Depoe? Was thinking of a Tuna run on Wednesday, but the forecast does not look to condusive to such an endeavor...so was thinking Coho...what does she look like??

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Knotty
I was out Sunday and despite the prediction from the previous Thurs. of 20 kt winds and 9' seas there was no wind and 3' rollers. I was able to complete my trifecta of Hali, tuna and salmon. I think what happened is there was no temp differential between the valley and coast so it was calm. Also the water where we caught salmon was 64.8°, and 258' deep. Ther's lots of fish out there. Including sharks!
CB
OSITA
Also here's some eyes:
http://www.trollerslodge.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=72965

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yesterday looked a bit windy but this morning looks pretty doable. Not much wind at all. I have to do inside work today or I'd be getting out while the getting is good. CG says unrestricted without any of their north/south reef observation details. I didn't see much crash on the jetty tips, although some on the north side of north jetty (maybe wwaves from the n or NW that don't seem evident from the bridge). I went over the bridge this morning at 7am, hi tide at 7:30am.

I do have that feeling that it could change pretty quickly though, maybe just the overcast and slight mugginess. Gotta listen to the little voice when in a 20' boat.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Flat off Little Italy...boats are crusing north towards the Nehalem with no bounce.

Wind has not yet shifted to the north, at least not here.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
"Little Italy......" That is really rich Bud!!!
As you know, there is nothing "rich" about Garibaldi...just the way we like it.

Birds are crashing bait behind the surf...sleds are off Nehalem at the mouth..looks like there could be a 3' roll now and again.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I fished depoe Monday. Out to the banana. Forecast not at all correct. 10-15wind was actually 15-25 and blew out of the south all day. Prediction was way off also. 2 and 4 was more like 3 and 6 and got to more like 5 and 7 for a few hours. It kept coming from the south all day. Did have 62 degree water 8 miles out. Didn't see any jumpers until we were 18 miles or so. Caught fish mostly on cedar plugs at 52 over 21 and then came inside a bit and got on some birds where we scored with fishtraps. On the way home we saw jumpers at 14 miles and then inside at 8 miles but the weather was too snotty for us to want to sit on them so we just waved goodbye. Engine ran rough (fuel water separator I hope) but cleared back up. The guard was out so they lead us back home just in case. Thanks to those guys , especially on days like yesterday. Only saw one other boat on the ocean past the coho grounds. Count for the day was 16 dead, three cedar plugs broken off (newbie adjusting drag), five more fish just plain lost and one 10wt fly rod exploded by charlie (who then straightened the hook). Tuna -16; lost fish -8; gallons of fuel -26; broken rods -1; any day fishing tuna - priceless.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the reports! I am going to head over tomorrow morning and hope for near shore salmon and drop a few pots in the bay. Was thinking Tuna, but with the forecast, I think I will try and put a little Coho in the freezer (somehow Tuna fishing is interferring with the usual Coho stocking....).

·
Registered
671 Posts
Knotty
I was out Sunday and despite the prediction from the previous Thurs. of 20 kt winds and 9' seas there was no wind and 3' rollers. I was able to complete my trifecta of Hali, tuna and salmon. I think what happened is there was no temp differential between the valley and coast so it was calm. Also the water where we caught salmon was 64.8°, and 258' deep. Ther's lots of fish out there. Including sharks!
CB
OSITA
Also here's some eyes:
http://www.trollerslodge.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=72965
Excellent post....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have an eyeball report for Newport or Depoe? Was thinking of a Tuna run on Wednesday, but the forecast does not look to condusive to such an endeavor...so was thinking Coho...what does she look like??

Thanks! :cheers:
Just got back from Depoe Bay, got are our 4 salman, but it was very bumby. The fish were at 230 n.e. Good luck
starcknaked

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been lurking for a while now and some friends finally talked me into joining the discussion. This will be my first post, so a big hello to all those salty dogs that share their knowledge.

As for Newport, I was out today and by 3:00 PM it was getting pretty sloppy. The wind was not as bad as forecast, but by mid afternoon we had waves coming in from what seemed like all directions.

We were catching coho pretty regularly between 200 and 250 ft of water, strait out. Most of the catch were wild and fairly good size. The water temp fluctuated between 63 and 64 degrees. Lots of sharks and a couple of sunfish.

After spending the last month and a half going out on tuna trips, this was the first salmon only day and I think I'm ruined. Salmon just don't have the bang that I've become used to with the tuna.

Good luck out there.

h8

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Thanks for the report h8 and welcome aboard !:wink:., I get to go play with live bait this weeekend, hope the wind machine doesn't go into super spin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts