Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1/2 slab of bacon (whack a 12-16 oz pkg in half) cross-cut into 1/4" bits
1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped into 1/4 inch bits
1/2 medium carrot, finely chopped into 1/8 to 1/4 inch bits
4-5 medium red potatoes, skin on, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
1 - 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp MSG (optional for those who can't handle it)
Generous dusting fresh-cracked pepper
2/3 cup flour
1 - 1/2 cups finely chopped clam diggers
1 quart half-n-half
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
3-4 medium sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped

In a large soup pot, sautee' bacon over low-med heat until you've tried out all the blubber and the remaining meat is red and crispy.

Pour off most of the fat (or leave it if your cholesterol can handle it :wink:), leaving just enough to sautee' the chopped onions until wilted. Remember to release all the caramelized goodness on the bottom of the pot.

Toss in chopped celery, carrots, potatoes and stir.

Add chicken broth, salt, pepper. Stir.

Bring to a boil under high heat, turn it down, and simmer covered for 10-12 minutes til potatoes are cooked/tender.

While the stock is simmering, place flour in a sealable jar, add just enough water to suspend it in a thick pourable glue, cover and shake well.

Bring the heat to medium, and slowly pour the liquid flour past a sieve (to remove obvious lumps) into the pot while stirring. An extra set of hands comes in handy here (LMWS, help!) Use it all if you like a real thick chowder, a bit less if you like it thinner. Keep stirring as it comes to a boil for one minute to cook the flour. It will turn into a nice thick glop. (Don't worry, you'll be thinning it out in just a bit)

Fold in your chopped diggers and stir for 20 seconds. DONE!

Slowly pour in the quart of half-n-half while stirring and just heat through. DO NOT BOIL!

Stir in worcestershire sauce. Sneak a taste. MMMMM. Add more salt to personal taste, if needed.

Sprinkle in fresh parsley, stir and serve HOT.

· Registered
273 Posts
1 - 1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup flour
1 quart half-n-half

In a large soup pot, sautee' bacon over low-med heat until you've tried out all the blubber and the remaining meat is red and crispy.

Pour off most of the fat (or leave it if your cholesterol can handle it :wink:), leaving just enough to sautee' the chopped onions until wilted. Remember to release all the caramelized goodness on the bottom of the pot.

Bring to a boil under high heat, turn it down, and simmer covered for 10-12 minutes til potatoes are cooked/tender.

While the stock is simmering, place flour in a sealable jar, add just enough water to suspend it in a thick pourable glue, cover and shake well.

Bring the heat to medium, and slowly pour the liquid flour past a sieve (to remove obvious lumps) into the pot while stirring. An extra set of hands comes in handy here (LMWS, help!) Use it all if you like a real thick chowder, a bit less if you like it thinner. Keep stirring as it comes to a boil for one minute to cook the flour. It will turn into a nice thick glop. (Don't worry, you'll be thinning it out in just a bit)

Slowly pour in the quart of half-n-half while stirring and just heat through. DO NOT BOIL!

Stir in worcestershire sauce. Sneak a taste. MMMMM. Add more salt to personal taste, if needed.

Hey eyeFISH, thanks for sharing this!

I’m a bit of a CC fanatic ever since a perfect bowl in a restaurant. After becoming addicted to this place it sold and the old owner took it with him. I realized if I wanted a perfect bowl I’d have to learn how which started my journey to that end.

Ingredients – bacon (salt pork), onion, celery, potatoes, clams, all overlap -exact amounts may vary, the finer points, thickening agents - roux, corn starch, potato starch, also vary (Chef Serg is keeping his ace in that hole close to his vest). A few masters have shared their wisdom - one, Jasper White, who built his reputation on the east coast with a couple of now famous restaurants wrote his secrets in a few cook books on all things seafood.

These masters let the stock they create do the heavy lifting. They protect that fragile but intense clam flavor as you did - “Fold in your chopped diggers and stir for 20 seconds. DONE!” Even though everyone does not have access to fresh clams all the time we can learn that clam taste we all love can be destroyed very easily. Anything over about 180 degrees starts that destructive process. So, as you did, add the clams after you turn the heat OFF. I like to use only water to cook the base vegies and then add “Gourmet clam base” (paste you can get at Costco) to flavor the stock at the same time as you added the clams. Essentially adding those delicate clam flavors at the very end. One last thing these chefs do is let the flavors meld for about a half hour before serving. Whatever recipe you use, follow eyeFISH’s advice and add the clams last after the heat is turned off.

· Registered
662 Posts
Great looking recipe...very similar to the one I have used for razors.

One tip for soup and stew type recipes that require bacon is to use the "ends and pieces" packs of the higher-end bacon brands...all the quality and flavor of the good stuff, at a third the cost. All bacon's are not definitely created equal.

Cheers!

· Registered
18,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ingredients – bacon (salt pork), onion, celery, potatoes, clams, all overlap -exact amounts may vary, the finer points, thickening agents - roux, corn starch, potato starch, also vary (Chef Serg is keeping his ace in that hole close to his vest).
Got a sister who is "gluten intolerant" so these days I've been thickening with cornstarch instead of wheat flour.... but I still sneak that MSG in there... SHHHH! don't tell her.

· Registered
4,005 Posts
Silver one,
the cat has been out of the hat for a while.....
I shared my recipe as promised.....

Doc,

No roux and no heavy cream? This doesn't have enough cholesterol in it obviously!!

Now if the weather could just lighten up and the seas calm down it would a great treat to go grab some razors. I haven't had fried razors in almost a year and it's been just about as long on a decent pot of chowder.

The kids have even voiced some interest in pounding sand. Bill Jr donated an aluminum shorty gun he won at the SSS this spring to my son Timmy who has yet to break it in yet..

Hopefully soon we get to use it.

· Registered
108 Posts
Silver one,
the cat has been out of the hat for a while.....
I shared my recipe as promised....
Thanks again for sharing that recipe Serg. It is so excellent as to nearly defy belief. BTW, although everyone complements us on it (my daughter loves to assist and it's very welcome help) I have yet to use Razor clams in the recipe. Have access to Gapers and quahogs, and though everyone says that Gapers suck in comparison to Razors (they do) and they are a lot more work to clean (they are), they get the job done for us. You can dig them almost any mid-low tide where as Razors would be out of the question in that kind of conditions.

If you are ever hankering for chowder and I can show up with some Gapers for you to make you happy, just say so and I'll get you some next go round.

· Registered
273 Posts
1 - 1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup flour
1 quart half-n-half

This thread deserves a revival with a question. I really enjoy making clam chowder from scratch this time of year. Chowder from scratch deserves fresh or frozen clams not the cheap canned substitutes. Many years I have leftover frozen clams from spring/summer, not this one. I’ve looked in a few of the larger supermarkets with no luck, does anyone here know of a source for a fresh or frozen clam in Oregon? Thanks Mike

· Registered
16,777 Posts
This thread deserves a revival with a question. I really enjoy making clam chowder from scratch this time of year. Chowder from scratch deserves fresh or frozen clams not the cheap canned substitutes. Many years I have leftover frozen clams from spring/summer, not this one. I’ve looked in a few of the larger supermarkets with no luck, does anyone here know of a source for a fresh or frozen clam in Oregon? Thanks Mike
Try Bell Bouy in Seaside, if they have them they can ship to your home...

· Registered
273 Posts
Try Bell Bouy in Seaside, if they have them they can ship to your home...
Artwo, thanks, I called them, they do have some Razors - $18 p/lb., a little steep. I would prefer an off the shelf frozen product like some places sell on the east coast. I'm still digging to see if there is such a place in Oregon?

Quiet Riot, those bay clams sound good but the 4-5 hr. trip is problematic...thanks for the suggestion though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.