IFish Fishing Forum banner
321 - 340 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Here's an interesting spin....I chatted with OSP today, and was informed the current action notice does NOT include jacks! It lists adult salmonids, but leaves jack rules under permanent rules, which allow jack retention as of 5/16. The gentleman fishing next to me had retained two jacks, but was gone when the officer arrived. To have retention allowed for adults but not jacks is unheard of. I wonder if it was an oversight to not specifically list them...
There are people in life where you just point and laugh, you encountered one. Or were you telling him all about the guy who kept a Jack or 2?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Not going to laugh at anyone. The OSP showed me on an official document what looked like a closure on jacks. I'm glad I checked, because we got a jack today, and based on what I was told yesterday, I might have felt compelled to release it. Might have...

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
It always surprises me how little of the law officers actually know.
The way they change these regulations around, I’m surprised anyone can keep up with it. Officers included. In this day and age with access to info on line, you would think it would be easy to stay on top of it… but Nooooooo….. first ya gotta find the updates, then have a lawyer interpret them for you, then just pray you don’t run into an officer with a different interpretation…. I liked it better when they just printed the regulations, and that was it…. Kirk

·
Registered
244 Posts
The way they change these regulations around, I’m surprised anyone can keep up with it. Officers included. In this day and age with access to info on line, you would think it would be easy to stay on top of it… but Nooooooo….. first ya gotta find the updates, then have a lawyer interpret them for you, then just pray you don’t run into an officer with a different interpretation…. I liked it better when they just printed the regulations, and that was it…. Kirk
If your going to an area to patrol for the day looking at the current regulations for that area before getting out of your truck should be fairly simple. I can do it and I don’t enforce the laws. I’m just expected to follow them.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
If your going to an area to patrol for the day looking at the current regulations for that area before getting out of your truck should be fairly simple. I can do it and I don’t enforce the laws. I’m just expected to follow them.
Well about all you can do is be cordial, and respectful say I believe you are mistaken and show him the regulation discrepancy on your phone. Most officers will listen to reason if presented respectfully. A bad attitude typically results in a bad scene. I’ve had to bite my tongue a couple times when it was the cop with the bad attitude. There are a certain amount of people out there that shouldn’t have a badge….. Kirk

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I fault the officer with one thing: Adult retention without jack retention is unheard of. He is an accomplished fisherman, and as such that (apparent) regulation anomaly should have thrown up a flag. One would think he could/should have double checked and thus seen that regulation updates put out by the states (as opposed to the action notice) included jacks.

Now, speaking of extensions, passage remains strong and the next run update may well allow for upriver opportunity.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I fault the officer with one thing: Adult retention without jack retention is unheard of. He is an accomplished fisherman, and as such that (apparent) regulation anomaly should have thrown up a flag. One would think he could/should have double checked and thus seen that regulation updates put out by the states (as opposed to the action notice) included jacks.

Now, speaking of extensions, passage remains strong and the next run update may well allow for upriver opportunity.
Cant keep jacks at B10 in the fall.

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
From May 9...

The DART projection to Bonne continues to correct downward after the recent inflection point and the diminishing daily counts. Expect it to waver over the next week as it settles into an equilibrium.

Equilibrium indeed. Steady as she goes… at least for the past week.
Rectangle Slope Line Plot Font

·
Registered
263 Posts
Prediction was pretty good imo. We're only 10k above forecast according to the model. I think we'll end up higher since the cold water and high flows probably delayed the run more than the 10 year average. Tomorrow won't change much for the meeting, but in a week we'll know a lot more.

Currently need to average 1700 fish a day to get to 168k, we've been hovering around 3-4k for the past week, with a big 6.7k day in there. Starting tomorrow the 10 year average drops to 2k or lower. I doubt the model predicts we'll be much more than that, so we could make some gains. Hopefully fishies can pad the numbers enough to open for the upriver guys.

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
Last year it was an average of about 2000 a day from here to June 15th. I'd say with the run we're having that it's not impossible. 40 more days is 80,000 fish.
Averaging 4000 a day the past 7 days for another 28K in a week.
DART is projecting another 50K over the next 30 days of counting... average of 1667 a day... to hit 168K over the wall. Seems like a slam dunk to me. Summers have already started arriving in the estuary.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
WDFW is set to undermine gillnet reforms and the legislatively approved $14.4M buyback, by approving the first spring Chinook gillnet fishery since 2016.

At 2PM tomorrow (Wednesday, May 18), the Columbia River Compact will meet to discuss the possibility of approving a small mesh gillnet fishery for spring Chinook – the first since 2016.

Please take just a moment to send a pre-drafted email to WDFW Director Kelly Susewind letting him know you oppose this irresponsible decision. Then forward this email to all your friends and ask them to take action as well.

Also, check back at noon tomorrow for the call-in details for the Compact meeting, so you can provide public comment by voicing your strong opposition of the decision to return non-tribal gillnets to the mainstem Columbia River for spring Chinook. The details for the 2PM compact call will be posted on CCA Oregon’s Facebook page: Coastal Conservation Association Oregon

CCA Washington will continue working with the Legislature and Governor Inslee to hold WDFW accountable for their failing management decisions, but they must also hear from you!

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
Prediction was pretty good imo. We're only 10k above forecast according to the model. I think we'll end up higher since the cold water and high flows probably delayed the run more than the 10 year average. Tomorrow won't change much for the meeting, but in a week we'll know a lot more.
DART's in-season model for passage at Bonne is for 168K to the wall

Preseason forecast by the DFWs/TAC was for 122.9K to the mouth. The run is WAY bigger than that. Even the most conservatively REALISTIC accounting of pinniped predation would add back a minimum of 10% of the run being wolfed down by the furbags. Then add back all the upriver kings taken by hook/line and nets. Conservatively (168.2 + 16.8 + 6.0) 191K to the mouth with 168K making it over the wall... that's the BIG picture.

The Compact will undoubtedly come back with something lower for their second update. At the very least, they should free up the 20% withhold from the last update... yeah even if it means more for the commercials. Just spend the available impacts for them with more SAFE days instead of unnecessarily ruffling feathers with a mainstem gillnet fishery.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Brace yourself Effie. With two to three thousand theoretically available for non tribal commercial, more SAFE days for sure, but I strongly doubt the SAFE fisheries will take a big enough bite of them to avoid a call for main stem netting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
DART's in-season model for passage at Bonne is for 168K to the wall

Preseason forecast by the DFWs/TAC was for 122.9K to the mouth. The run is WAY bigger than that. Even the most conservatively REALISTIC accounting of pinniped predation would add back a minimum of 10% of the run being wolfed down by the furbags. Then add back all the upriver kings taken by hook/line and nets. Conservatively (168.2 + 16.8 + 6.0) 191K to the mouth with 168K making it over the wall... that's the BIG picture.

The Compact will undoubtedly come back with something lower for their second update. At the very least, they should free up the 20% withhold from the last update... yeah even if it means more for the commercials. Just spend the available impacts for them with more SAFE days instead of unnecessarily ruffling feathers with a mainstem gillnet fishery.
I thought the 158k on the table from your post looked high... Thanks for the correction.

321 - 340 of 360 Posts