IFish Fishing Forum banner
281 - 300 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I'm not up on the reasoning why the spring and summer allocations are split the way they are. Lower river gets more springers, upper river gets more summers.

If we could consistently get 350k springers and 150k summers back every year, a lot of these allocation issues would go away I think. People could stay on the water.
Yeah exactly. Instead of trying to figure out how to divy up this tiny quota we've been given so every can have a sliver. We should really figure out how to get a bigger pie so everyone can eat.

·
Registered
632 Posts
One weekend with marginal water conditions? Goodness. That isn’t enough for me to even trailer the boat out to the river to fight the crowds.
On top of it, unless you fish the wall... Bonnie is HUGE right now, combined with big tides forthcoming, what a deal for fishing lower! Not!! Add the current Willie element, yeah, kinda crowded is an understatement.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm not up on the reasoning why the spring and summer allocations are split the way they are. Lower river gets more springers, upper river gets more summers.

If we could consistently get 350k springers and 150k summers back every year, a lot of these allocation issues would go away I think. People could stay on the water.
Yep. Right now its a super shuffle of too few fish.

Hey, our local tribal Springer Hatchery is supposed to be up and running at full capacity soon as is another WDFW program. Every bit helps!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did anyone hear any talk about above Bonneville? Ok I guess I'll accept that there were a bunch of fish caught above already cuz pictures obviously prove it but man that is that a lot of river we're talking about. I know good suggestions are frowned upon by ODFW and others but there should surely be three sections on the Columbia because these fish weren't caught below Mcnary. I'm sure there were a few caught but they were just getting here in decent fishable numbers and then done.

·
Registered
756 Posts
KB1, fact sheet said upriver was way over quota by nearly 1,000 fish and even with run update nothing was available above Bonneville and we can only assume they are right on the 1,500 fish because the got the data ;-)

Suppose that could change if even a higher run update should materialize.

·
Registered
124 Posts

80% of just about everything’s goes to below Bonney which is ridiculous. No wonder politicians in the upper basins struggle getting on board with watershed and fish restoration in their counties and perceived negative effects on local agriculture. They view habitat restoration efforts as little to no benefit to local communities. Regarding summer chinook allocations, in 2021, 3550 out of a 4176 summer allocation were allocated to lower river

·
Registered
756 Posts
Columbia River Fishery Notice Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife May 11, 2022
Joint State Action

The states of Oregon and Washington discussed the following recreational fisheries and took the following actions:
Mainstem Columbia River Spring Chinook Recreational Fishery
• Adoptedthefollowingfishery:
Downstream of Bonneville Dam
Dates: Area:
Catch Limits:
Thursday May 12 through Sunday May 22, and Saturday June 4 through Wednesday June 15
23 days

Tongue Point/Rocky Point line upstream to Beacon Rock (boat and bank) plus bank angling only from Beacon Rock upstream to the Bonneville Dam deadline.
Legal upstream boat boundary defined as: A deadline marker on the Oregon bank (approximately four miles downstream from Bonneville Dam Powerhouse One) in a straight line through the western tip of Pierce Island to a deadline marker on the Washington bank at Beacon Rock.
Two adult hatchery salmonids (Chinook or steelhead only) per day, only one of which may be a Chinook. Shad may also be retained.

• Current regulations are available at: Fishing Report - Columbia Zone | Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife
• Allotherpermanentregulationsinthe2022OregonSportFishingRegulationspamphlet remain in effect, including catch limits for jack salmon.
• Seasonmodificationsmayberequiredtoremainwithinharvestguidelines. FUTURE MEETINGS
• A Compact/Joint State hearing is scheduled for 2 PM Wednesday May 18, 2022 via teleconference to consider additional non-treaty spring Chinook fisheries.
• For information concerning these decisions see the May 11, 2022 Spring Fact Sheet #2 at: ODFW Columbia River Management Fact Sheets

·
Registered
8 Posts
Columbia River Fishery Notice Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife May 11, 2022
Joint State Action

The states of Oregon and Washington discussed the following recreational fisheries and took the following actions:
Mainstem Columbia River Spring Chinook Recreational Fishery
• Adoptedthefollowingfishery:
Downstream of Bonneville Dam
Dates: Area:
Catch Limits:
Thursday May 12 through Sunday May 22, and Saturday June 4 through Wednesday June 15
23 days

Tongue Point/Rocky Point line upstream to Beacon Rock (boat and bank) plus bank angling only from Beacon Rock upstream to the Bonneville Dam deadline.
Legal upstream boat boundary defined as: A deadline marker on the Oregon bank (approximately four miles downstream from Bonneville Dam Powerhouse One) in a straight line through the western tip of Pierce Island to a deadline marker on the Washington bank at Beacon Rock.
Two adult hatchery salmonids (Chinook or steelhead only) per day, only one of which may be a Chinook. Shad may also be retained.

• Current regulations are available at: Fishing Report - Columbia Zone | Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife
• Allotherpermanentregulationsinthe2022OregonSportFishingRegulationspamphlet remain in effect, including catch limits for jack salmon.
• Seasonmodificationsmayberequiredtoremainwithinharvestguidelines. FUTURE MEETINGS
• A Compact/Joint State hearing is scheduled for 2 PM Wednesday May 18, 2022 via teleconference to consider additional non-treaty spring Chinook fisheries.
• For information concerning these decisions see the May 11, 2022 Spring Fact Sheet #2 at: ODFW Columbia River Management Fact Sheets
So... based on the fact sheet, this is still just a recommendation and no final decision has been released. Correct?

281 - 300 of 360 Posts