IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual (I hear) the funny math wizards have declared we caught too many Springers on the CR. SOSDD as they say. Owen on Outdoor GPS explained their "math" today, but it's not unusual that they restrict fishing when fishing gets good.
This year I had some issues that ruined my hopes to get out but yesterday, on our maiden voyage, we marked fish but seals n sea lions were prolific. Not much chance to get a fish to the boat. 1st time ever I had a seal bite my superbait and scream out 200 feet before I could stop him. Great to feel hear see a rod dance but no love for us. I'm hopeful for another chance later but 2022 may go down with a zero on my springer catch card.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I believe the cold river water has them delayed by about a week. I expect the weather to hamper encounters today and tomorrow. I am looking foreward to the next Compact/Joint State hearing outcome.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dam count sure slowed down too! I am thinking the fishery dudes controlling our closure date had Bonne open the gates early. Slowed down the catch that was just starting to get good. MA nature isn't helping much wx wise either! Just the usual... I do wonder if they'll reopen in a few weeks once the fish get past the wall.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Some good fisherman limiting regularly. I am far from that 10%, but bumping up against the allocation is not out of the question. Immediate extension is highly unlikely, imho. Maybe 1 or 2 days Friday/Saturday? 🤞🏻

·
Registered
222 Posts
As usual (I hear) the funny math wizards have declared we caught too many Springers on the CR. SOSDD as they say. Owen on Outdoor GPS explained their "math" today, but it's not unusual that they restrict fishing when fishing gets good.
This year I had some issues that ruined my hopes to get out but yesterday, on our maiden voyage, we marked fish but seals n sea lions were prolific. Not much chance to get a fish to the boat. 1st time ever I had a seal bite my superbait and scream out 200 feet before I could stop him. Great to feel hear see a rod dance but no love for us. I'm hopeful for another chance later but 2022 may go down with a zero on my springer catch card.
Too bad. There’s plenty of opportunity still available.

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Those stats make it look like we ought to be a ways short of 3,600 uprivers. But, as i tell folks who ask me, once the bean counters add things up and consult their ouija boards and magic eight balls, we'll get an idea what may be coming for an extension. I refuse to be as cynical as some on here, but if Owin's "sources" are right, and they say we have already passed our allocation....

Doh Boy: Sarcasm? As indicated by records my 20 springs fishing the CR, and records of management test netting, the fish HAVE just started entering the river.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
Are those stats just from the Washington side? This past week, fishing from Cathlamet down has been very good.

Clam
Yes, just WA landings creeled. One might assume roughly doubling them to capture OR landings creeled, but that’s not very exact.

The bigger take home is CPUE... landed catch divided by the amount of gear deployed in rod-days. Take that number and extrapololate it to the full fleet enumerated in the aerial boat count, and you get a better picture of total handle.

Preseason planning had us at a total handle of ~6600 fish of which expected stock comp would have produced ~3900 upriver mortalities

My guess is we aren't there yet, but an official accounting of handle thru Sunday Apr 3 is likely to be produced by the DFW's by close of business today, if they are looking to extend this weekend.

If not, let the next two days play out, and just get a season total by the end of the week to see where we're at.

The peril of delaying any potential extension is that the longer they wait, the more expensive each day of fishing becomes. Two days this week might produce the same impact as a single day a week or two later.

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
Just did the boat tally for the reported week... 2143 rod-days for 395 fish comes out to 5.4 rod-days per springer brought to hand. A small fraction of them were released by regulation... so about 6 rod-days per keeper. Assuming 6 hours per fishing day, right around 35-36 rod-hours per keeper.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I too watched Outdoor GPS Sunday and Owen reported he had talked to "the powers to be" at the fisheries dept. and they reported no extension. He made quite the mockery of the "funny math" and the "there's been 1 fish caught per 3 rods". That's BULL CRAP and with the numbers presented in the "unofficial tally" and giving credence to only WA creel counts, the reality of less than 1000 fish is very real as I see it. Given the numbers of boats, rods, fish counts etc. and even applying the "funny math" that the fisheries dept. uses... 🙄 The counts don't come close to the projected 74K forecasted JUST for the lwr river. Now I know that 74K is a projected number and the fisheries has to project what comes back to propagate a new batch as well as other factors BUT.............. how does an estimated 1000 fish warrant closing the river? Pretty usual stuff, the fish start go show up, numbers increase and the fisheries closes the lwr river prematurely and gives a green light for the upriver guys to put rods in.
SOSDD is what I wrote and I still say it is indeed SOSDD! I, like many, am disgusted with the closure and I guess I should have assumed this would be as it is the "usual" every year. My next HOPE is for an opening later on.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
So other words when I get back to fishing there will be NO fishing. Pretty much what I expected NO EXTENSIONS

Gas to high to drive east all the time in my opinion. That will be an expensive Springer trip at 5 dollars a gallon in the ole gmc.

Oregon license maybe. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I too watched Outdoor GPS Sunday and Owen reported he had talked to "the powers to be" at the fisheries dept. and they reported no extension. He made quite the mockery of the "funny math" and the "there's been 1 fish caught per 3 rods". That's BULL CRAP and with the numbers presented in the "unofficial tally" and giving credence to only WA creel counts, the reality of less than 1000 fish is very real as I see it. Given the numbers of boats, rods, fish counts etc. and even applying the "funny math" that the fisheries dept. uses... The counts don't come close to the projected 74K forecasted JUST for the lwr river. Now I know that 74K is a projected number and the fisheries has to project what comes back to propagate a new batch as well as other factors BUT.............. how does an estimated 1000 fish warrant closing the river? Pretty usual stuff, the fish start go show up, numbers increase and the fisheries closes the lwr river prematurely and gives a green light for the upriver guys to put rods in.
SOSDD is what I wrote and I still say it is indeed SOSDD! I, like many, am disgusted with the closure and I guess I should have assumed this would be as it is the "usual" every year. My next HOPE is for an opening later on.
Later on probably means May I would imagine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 360 Posts