IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to upgrade my duck call/s and wanted to know what you all use. I like to think that I am proficient at calling. I learned from an old [petunias!] in Amity who ones a duck club and is one heck of a caller. I used to work on his blinds and move dekes during the season in trade for calling lessons and hunting. The problem is, he convinced me that there is only one call I will ever need- The KumDuk. I think there is a place on the lanyard for this locally made $10.00 call, but as I want to try different variations in my calling, it has shortcomings. Is there anyone out there that has found a call they absolutely love? I am looking for one that is versatile.

What do you use?

· Registered
957 Posts
RNT Timbre. Been VERY happy with it. Calls quiet, calls loud, calls raspy, etc.. Bought mine for 130.00, I bet you could do better.

Eric

· Registered
2,475 Posts
Heres how I look at it. You cant ask everyone on here what calls they like, its what fits them is what they blow. I go through ALOT of calls every year just to try and get the one that fits me. I have found alot of cheap calls fit me, and alot of expensive calls fit me. Its an ongoing thing with me. I believe that you have to go to sportsmans or gi joes and try out every call possible to see what blows the easiest for you, and what fits your style of calling. Hope that helps and good luck

Brett Neffendorf

· Registered
503 Posts
Anything RNT and acrylic you will the sweet high end hail call and also has a great realist quack to it. they are really easy to blow and sound great. i would recommend going with something that has a short barrel it takes alot less air to blow it.there's my two cents

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, but they don't let you blow them at sporty's. Maybe joes? It just seems like a waste of $ to spend over $100 on a call when I am used to spending $10-$15 on a call that has gotten me a lot of birds. I guess that the better question is- is it worth spending $100+ for a call? Is it that much better?

· Registered
957 Posts
IMHO, YES! The biggest difference is in the versatility and tone quality. You can kill many, many ducks with a Haydel's. But, when the birds get tough, being able to adjust your calling will kill that many more. single reeds take more practice, but are worth it in the long run. ALSO, you need not replace your call every year or two. Just change out old reeds and corks for fresh ones.

Eric

· Registered
503 Posts
they dont let you blow calls at joes either i think it is rediculous. i am a firm believer that the more expensive calls work better. but before i drop $100-$150 i want to try them out.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Both Joe's and Sportsman's in Salem let you blow them. Did that just yesterday.

Yes, generally speaking the more expensive calls are better sounding, easier to blow... but... it also hurts a lot more when the insert falls out :sick: when you're fixing the deeks, retrieving a bird, etc. And I'm not speaking from experience here. :mad:

· Registered
843 Posts
Yeah, but they don't let you blow them at sporty's. Maybe joes? It just seems like a waste of $ to spend over $100 on a call when I am used to spending $10-$15 on a call that has gotten me a lot of birds. I guess that the better question is- is it worth spending $100+ for a call? Is it that much better?
Yes they do. When I was buying a call recently, I was able to blow quite a few of them. All calls are different for everyone. Go Blow them.

· Registered
957 Posts
Duckmaster makes a good point. ALWAYS use a double-drop lanyard with acrylics. The barrel and plug like to separate in cold weather.

Eric

· Registered
1,328 Posts
If your looking for the quality and performance of a high end duck call but cant quite afford it than give RNT's Quackhead series of calls a go. The Timber, J Frame and Quack Stacker are all great calls and will give you similar performace to a more expensive high end acrylic call.
If your looking for an acrylic than give the Timbre, Shortbarrel, Daisy Cutter and Original a shot. Each call blows differently and are better suited for different styles of calling and area's of use. I hope this helps. Good luck and " Shoot em with their feet down "

" Shoot em with their feet down "
Eric Strand

· Registered
14,116 Posts
Nice question Duckenfuss. I'm interested as well.
As an inexperienced caller, I would also like to hear what you "real callers" prefer. It's hard for me to dump $100-150 on a duck call. But I would if I heard it recommended by several guys.

I totally agree with what Brett said about everyone blowing differantly. Keep in mind what we hear as the caller and what others hear from us are differant. Just like listening to yourself on a tape recorder. The sounds we make, sound differant to us because the sound is going through our head as well as our ears. Laugh I know, just think about it. Tape yourself calling and you'll see...hear the differance in pitch. Does it matter? no. No two ducks sound the same either. I think it's more about knowing the duck language than what you sound like. I can make noise just fine, it's making the right noises at the right times that seperates a novice like me from a real caller. In other words don't make the alarm call when you are intending to greet them.

As far as calls I like my Primos "Original Wench", and I got a Green flex Barrel Remington call made by Flextone that sounds like a mature mallard drake. Both are double reeds. And I have a Duck Commander that I pulled one of the reeds out of that I "think" I've finally got tuned right. It's very loud now and really throws out the highball well. It also sounds real good on the slow feeder chuckle. These are all cheap calls but each sounds differant and is used to "mix it up". But I have to I've got my eye on one of the RNT "Timber"'s.
Hunt'nFish

· Registered
5,056 Posts
I have had luck with Buck Gardner calls. I have the timber call and the nasty call on my laynard. Don't forget a whistle too! Like Brett said...try a few out at GI Goe's or Sportsman and see what you like. :smile:

Good luck getting their feet down!
:smash: :smash: :smash:

· Registered
24,170 Posts
my best sounding duck call, came free from ducks unlimited, when i renewed the membership a couple years ago.gold is where you find it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.