Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, people evolve through phases in fishing:

In Phase 1, they just try to catch a fish, any fish. A fellow may only have one "pole" and no technique, but they have the desire and they envy the guys who really can catch fish.

In Phase 2, people are finally able to catch fish so they then try to see how many they can catch, think it is a big deal, get real upset when they lose a fish, and try to show all the people in Phase 1 how cool they are 'cuz they can catch fish. They buy lots of cool gear and maybe a jet sled. Egos are temporarily blown way out of proportion and they think that guiding is definitely in their future.

Phase 3 folks finally realize that catching a whole bunch of fish is not that big a deal, so they go after the big trophy fish or they only fish dry flies or only ultra-light gear. They know they are way cooler than the guys who catch a lot of little fish or stupid estuary fish or fish with bait. Again their egos get feed.

Phase 4 guys have pretty much done it all. They start to notice what a great day it is just to be out on the water. A lost fish is no big deal. They start experimenting with different ways to catch fish just to see what may work. They take great joy in getting a newbie into a fish and sharing what they know and the beauty of a day on the water.

Some people progress slowly through the phases. Some realize quickly how silly some phases are and move through quickly. Some never get out of Phase 1 or 2.

The only hard part about being a Phase 4 fisherman is that some Phase 1, 2, and 3 fishermen really get on the nerves. Its kinda like the old bull trying to put up with the new bull who just realized what his "special purpose". The temptation to put a horn in his hind parts is, at times, nearly irresistible.

Try to resist the urge.

[ 06-25-2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Nicely put Crabbait!!!!!

:cheers: Heres to all of the "Phase 4" fishermen(and women) out there. :cheers:

Steve :cheers:

[ 06-25-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Steelie Steve ]

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Phase 4 manifested itself in me with an interest in Oregon's native trout...what species and subspecies do we have?...how did they get there?...can I catch and photograph examples of each? I learned of the presumed-extinct Alvord Basin cutthroat trout (believed wiped out by hybridization with stocked rainbows and out-competed by stocked eastern brook trout)...and made many trips in the mid-1980s thru mid-'90s exploring the basin in both Oregon and Nevada prospecting for remnant populations...made most recent effort in 1999 in the Rincon Creek (Oregon) headwaters. I never found the Alvord cutt but the late Bob Smith of Central Point (a retired USF&WS wildlife bio who I collaborated with) did find apparently pure phenotypes in Virgin Creek, NV...but DNA testing revealed a small amount of rainbow trout genetic introgression. I know of a tiny creek in northern Nevada that nobody has tested and I still want to check it...maybe later this summer.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Whats your point Steve? :grin:

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Crabbait, you forgot phase 5, those who can't fish enough or on the optimum days due to work or family commitments. To all fisherpeople, :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Geez, after 50 years of fishing I am still in Phase I ... :whazzup: However, I do have a bunch of poles, so it could start happening any day!

[ 06-25-2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Administrator
119,506 Posts
Bill has been fishing for 56 years and is sometimes transported back to all phases on various occasions!

I think we all can relate to all phases. I sure can.

It's kind of like growing up, I guess. There are some days when I act like a child when I can't catch anything! Other days I don't give a rip, and head out to the river to save steelhead smolt stuck in the puddles, or marvel at spawning chum salmon with absolutely no desire to hook them, or endanger their purpose in life, in any way.

Most of all, I really enjoy spending time with all phases of fishermen and women, because I see the excitement and love for fishing we all have in common.

, Crabbait!

Jen

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Phase 6...buy a big ol' Edwing and chase tuna around...return to phase 1.

:grin:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Guess I'm still phase one, but working on phase two?? See, I've got this really
BIG tackle box full of tackle, but I'm still the worst fisherman in two ports!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nothing like a 30 foot, floating tackle box to store all your stuff in! :grin:

-assAssin-

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I think your wrong about the season thing. I look forward to the change of the seasons just like most fisherman.

Sturgeon Season
Springer Season
Shad Season
June Hog Season
Summer Steelhead Season
Fall Chinook Season
Fall Silver Season
Bobber Salmon Season
Winter Stealhead Season

Remember, during eacb of these season's you are always looking forward to the next season. :dance:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

Good topic Crabbait!

I know I bounce back and forth between all those phases. But I have a fun time doing it! :grin:

Phase 5 - TUNAHOLIC
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">As for phase 5 I am hopelessy stuck :tongue:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That is great analogy. But when that bull gets to old they just take it to a field and shoot it :shocked: . Lucky that doesn't happen with fishing
.....Chris

[ 06-25-2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fishchaser - Sorry you think I am wrong, but I didn't mention anything about seasons. Nothing. Nada. :shrug: Oh, you were referring to Miss B's comment. Sorry, I was thinking about TUNA! Weld, Ed WELD!

XTC - Showing a little respect to the old bulls won't cost you anything and it might gain you a lot. Some of these guys have forgotten more about fishing than I will ever know. Most are very willing to share if you just treat them with a little respect.

[ 06-25-2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Phase 5 - TUNAHOLIC!
:shocked: :dance: :grin:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by Miss B Haven:
Phase 5 - TUNAHOLIC!
:shocked: :dance: :grin:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Rusty Salmon gear, no bait in the boat. 50 gallons of fuel in cans on deck. Addicted to watching the SST channel and the Buoy reports. Has 12 step program memorized. Doesn't really care about any seasons opening or closing. Plays with feathers a lot. Eyes cedar trees as he drives by. :cheers:

oops, wrong button
, but it works I guess. :blush: :shrug:

[ 06-25-2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Good topic crabby!

Can a guy be a combo of phase 1 and 4? :shrug: Just trying to catch a fish but also just enjoys being on the water.

Respect - what a novel concept.
Yet another thing that seems to be lost these days. :hoboy:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.