IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Evinrude ad. How did ya think it was gonna work out?

· Registered
1,935 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong. E-tec is a two stroke engine, right?(pretty sure it is not a four stroke)
A fair comparison would be to test it agins 2-Stroke Yamaha, do to the "powerfull hole shot".

If manufacturer uses such an unfair test what would that tell?

· Registered
14,116 Posts
Personally I think the new generation of fuel injected 2-strokes beats the 4-strokes in every catagory including fuel mileage. However, they never compare the E-Tec to the Honda in mileage.

It would be interesting to see them put it up against the Yami HDPI.
I think we all know how that would turn out.

All bias and subjectiveness aside, the new 2-strokes are lighter, simpler, more torque, and about same mileage.

But what about longevity???? Total hrs before top end rebuild?
That is MY question.
Hunt'nFish

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Moral of the story is

"Don't tie your boat to an Evinrude. It wil sink"

· Registered
2,035 Posts
these tests are coming from a company that made on of the worst direct injection motors ever with the ficht. now they are better than everyone else? Ya right

The video look like they dont open up the throttle on the yami at all. The tow test is one of the stupidist pieces I have ever seen. From what I have heard the 2 strokes are much quicker out of the whole, but the 4's run the same when they get up to speed.

· Registered
4,962 Posts
There are a few that might argue that the original ficht's are no worse than the Mercury Optimax (opti blow), old 'rude has been bought out by Bombardier. The new parent company knows a thing or two about two strokes, and you can't compair the old ficht's to the new ones. But it is a lame test, I loved the "propped to manufacturer's spec's", not that different props could many ANY difference.:help: The few folks that I know that have the new Johnson/rude are pretty pleased with 'em. When I repower I'll look at them, thats IF my old '81 90 horse 'rude ever gives up.

· Registered
20 Posts
Found this when I was looking for a engine for new 2007 NR. If you can't guess I picked Yamaha

In June 2006 PB ran a heads up test on 150hp outboards. Although no longer in business, if you can find the report it makes for some interesting reading.

Just a little of what they had to say:Their words not mine

What We Found
In the drag race, the Yamaha (16.8 seconds) and the Mercury OptiMax (17.1 seconds) finished one and two, followed by the Suzuki (18 seconds), the E-TEC (19 seconds), the Verado (19.7 seconds) and the Honda (20.5 seconds). All of the engines were plenty quick for us. We did notice that the E-TEC had a slight hesitation before initial acceleration. In addition, it vibrated significantly at 2100 rpm.
Conclusions
The E-TEC, with its vibration, hesitation out of the hole, and lower fuel-efficiency numbers in this test, doesn’t make the cut, either.

· Registered
928 Posts
Watch the video again. I noticed the Yamaha prop wasn't spinning at all when the boat capsized. In a tug of war when you should have the motor at WOT, even if the motor died, the prop would still have some momentum left it it! I still buy a Yamaha any day over the E-Tec. It's better for the fish not putting all that oil into the water.

· Registered
1,733 Posts
My Yamaha 150 doesn't go through as much gas as an E-tec and certainly doesn't use $36 worth of injector oil on the same trip. On a tuna trip of 123 miles total, 44 out and 44 back plus trolling, I used 32 gallons of fuel. I am happy with it, thats what counts. As for a tug of war, I don't do that much if ever and the Yammy allows me to climb the swells just fine.
21' Seahawk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.