IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did last week and I was upset. I over smoked it into steelhead rocks.

So I thought about it for a while :whazzup: and decided that I would put it with some cream cheese and crumble it into small pieces and let it stand in the frig for a while.

It turned out awesome. The cream cheese softened up the smoked fish and brought out the flavor. I saved face after all. :cool:

After working hard at catching a fish I was glad that I didn't waste any.

· Premium Member
29,833 Posts
Tiny, Your "goof-up" turns into a great tip! Congratulations! I tend to like my smoked (whatever) somewhat on the dry side and, so I am always on the edge of having this problem.

'Couple of questions, though. Did you mix the cheese with the crumbled fish or just set them together in a sealed container? If you did mix them, I presume it'll become a "pattae" or samdwich spread????

Don

· Banned
8,470 Posts
crumble it up and saute in olive oil with shallots, diced red and green pepper, mushrooms, and scallions. Fold sauted ingredeients into an omelete. top with shredded mozzerella..you will be the host with the most!! :cheers:

[ 01-07-2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

1,344 Posts
I always over smoke my fish I dont like eating mushy smoked fish so I smoke it about an hour longer then I should and throw it still warm into a ziploc and toss it in the fridge.

I have found that it moistens right back up in a couple days plus it is firm that way.

I did ruin on load of fish but not paying attention to where I set up my smoker I ran to the store for some suds and came back to find a melted down smoker because I didnt pay attention to the moss in the gravel where I set it I also had the box and the bag or smoke chips way to close.

it must have been a heck of a fire ball to melt the aluminum like that

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the mail and comments.

I over smoked it. I thought that only 3 pans of chips overnight would have been ok, since it was cold outside. Oops.

I picked the meat off of the carcass after it was filleted and smoked and crumbled it up as small as I could. I then put the meat (about 1-1/2 cups) with a cube of cream cheese and mixed it up with a fork. It was still very dry at this point. I let it stand in the frig for about 4 hours and remixed it and added just a spoon or two of coctail sauce and it was awesome.

· Registered
2,300 Posts
If you do the cream cheese dip make sure you get the whipped cream cheese...Excellent!

Fish I smoke hot and fast, usually 2 pans will do. Rarely do I leave it in there longer than 4 hours. I also cover the smoker with the box it came in, and sometimes a blanket on that.

· Registered
1,502 Posts
You can try and heat it up in the oven at 200 or so them put in a gallon zip lock with a wet paper towel and into the refridge for a day or so and it may moisten up a little.
Make up some country gravy and add some flaked steelhead rocks, maybe some sliced mushrooms, serve over biscuits. Yummy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.