IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the last time you even used one? I haven't used one since 1970. And even then, the closest I came was when I was on the Salmon River in January, and I was working on my reel, accidently dangling the Okie about 12 inches off the water and a nice steely came out of the water trying for it.
No hookup, but me and gramps sure fished that close water for a while.

Is the late 60's early 70's when corkies showed up?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a few in my box that were given to me by my father in-law. I've tried them a few times with no luck. I probably don't give them much chance either though. :rolleyes:

The closest I've come to them is the GooeyBobs by Luhr Jensen. They are basically a soft plastic Okie. I've caught a couple of steelhead on them. :dance:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Grew up on these steelheading fishing with my uncle in the late 60's. Bet it's been ove 20 years since I have used one..... Last time was most likely high water on the Trask just below the dam hole for winter slimerockets. Don't remember when but Buzz was not married to Molly (?) yet and she put on a clinic for a few hours outfishing all the men.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You gotta love the pink/pearl Okie drifter! A classic steelhead lure......hands down.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah, his name is Ed. Got the fish to the boat and he knocked it off with the net. Darn Okies. Never again. :wink: HJ

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
1996. Skagit river 2 steelhead on back to back casts using a Nail Polish Pink Okie. Those were the last fish I caught on Okies. Winter before last I hooked a piggy steelhead on the Sauk using a Nail Polish Pink Okie, Lost that fish. :mad:

I rarely fish them. Only on trophy steelhead rivers. My supply of Pink and Sunrise colored one is critically low :shocked: I have a buch of the solid colored plastic Okies though. I just need to figure out how to get that pearl pink color on them.

[ 09-12-2003, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: willierower ]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I was born in Oklahoma, and fish from a drift boat......does this make me an Okie drifter??? Just kidding, I have a box full of these handed down from my Dad. I have caught many steelhead on these and continue to use them every year. I probably have 200 of them in a tackle box.

Scott

·
Registered
745 Posts
Willierower, You might try casually scanning the nail polish displays at like Target, and having your girl purchase the colors you like, unless you want to answer a bunch of questions :wink: That stuff paints up plastic really well........

·
Registered
317 Posts
Caught my first steelhead in 1979 with an orange corky with no yarn, bait, or scent when I was 11 years old. Thanks for reminding me.

FF

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sunrise okie drifters are the best. Been steelheading since I was 16 years old (53 now) and caught more than my fair share of steelies on okie drifters. For those who have okies, check them. The official okie drifter has the word "OKIE" embedded on them. True okies. Why they quit making them is anybodies guess but a tried and true steelie getter for sure in my book.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I still use them every winter in the Sandy. they work good when the water is high and green color. I like the red/white which was discontinued 30 years ago. The orange works well too.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Caught my first steelhead on an okie drifter we found on the bank of the Alsea river. Would've been about 1969, I think. If memory serves, that fish weighed about 127 lbs and was about six feet long. Or that's what it looked like to a third grader.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
I cannot recall landing a fish on an okie however one day on the Washougal I had a winter steelhead follow one across the river as i retrieved and finially exploaded on it about 10 feet from my rod tip unfortunatly it missed the hooks.. not too often you get a surface take on drift gear:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I hooked my first steelhead on a bright orange Okie drifter the day after a sportsman show in the mid 60's. I went to all the seminars and took it all in. A guy showed me how to tie one on a double hook set up. I then took this to Eagle Creek the next morning, found a likely spot according to the previous day's lectures and on the second cast, the line stopped, I set the hook and chaos ensued for about 30 seconds. The line broke and I was hooked ever since!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Most of you are right. They really do not catch that many fish for all the Hoopla over them. And because I am such a nice guy if anyone has any of the pink pearly color that they want to get rid of them (only because they clutter up the tackle box) I'll make you an offer on them. :wink:

Bob

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
AH, the memories. 1979, Christmas Break my junior year in high school. Elochoman river, 22 degrees out, BRRRRRR!!!! Flame red okie tied between two hooks, can't remember the size, must be getting old. Just a smidgeon of egg in the top loop. Cast out and BAM. 9 lbs of beautiful chrome steel. Still get goosebumps when I look at the pic. :grin:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Okie drifters are the kind and are not made anymore if you have them you are fortunate. They really provoke hard strikes must really aggravate metalheads probably look like a knuckle ball pitch. You can get the same results using a double no. 4 hook rig with the right size corkies.
Randy
Randy

·
Registered
491 Posts
Okie drifters used to be our lure of choice back in the late sixties and early seventies. Caught many steelhead on them too. Back in those days the Molalla and the Trask were our favorite rivers. We would use them in our favorite holes for a break from running hot shots. We would set them up with yarn, eggs, and a single hook. Very effective back in those days.

My favorite drift back then was on the Trask, putting in at the slide and taking out at the Rock Garden, or if we had the time, we would continue on to Last Chance.

treegolfer

·
Registered
644 Posts
Caught numerous steelies on them on the Nestucca and Salmon rivers back in the 70's BB(before boat)when those rivers were full of fish and you had to bring your own rock. With and without eggs, with and without yarn, drifting or high water plunking. Have just a few left in my tackle box to use judiciously on the few occasions I take to the banks these days. If I ever get down to the last one, I will retire it. Great memories there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts