IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is thier any good rivers near eugene that produces a good run of winter steelhead. That is navigable with a jet sled.

Mark

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Closest rivers I know of near Eugene for winter steelhead would be Lake Creek and the Siuslaw. You might be able to run your sled on the lower Siuslaw...but not on Lake Creek anywhere I have fished..or on the upper Siuslaw. Bring it on down to the Rogue! Only a 2 hour drive and fishing is way...WAY better

·
Registered
320 Posts
maybe the santiam or mckenzie. both have plenty of water. siuslaw maybe up a little ways past where lake creek dumps in, but it's pretty rocky.
if you try lake creek, pretty sure you'll be buying some new boat parts.

·
Registered
523 Posts
No Winter Run on the McKenzie. The Umpqua mainstem would be an option if you can find a lull in the raging torrent or don't mind plunking.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Fish the Willamette near Jasper. Plenty of jet boats fish there, and the summer runs stay in the river all year. It was awesome fishing last year around thanksgiving. Might be a few winter strays but mostly holdover summer fish

·
Registered
320 Posts
yes to winter run in mckenzie, not as big as summer run but there. go figure, if there's winter fish in the willamette...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Okey dokey onebadfish, gives us a report when you catch one will ya?

Kevin

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is a winter run of steelhead on the McKenzie.

It is not a very good one but there is a run of winter steelhead on the McKenzie.

Call the Leaburg Hatchery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was at the Leaburg Hatchery today and asked the hatchery manager about winters. There are no winter's released from Leaburg. They had a trap out all winter and only one fish was caught and that was a tagged summer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts