IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am planning a camping trip with my dad down around the Eugene/Springfield area in July.
We want to fly-fish for trout, catch and release mostly but would like to eat one or 2 each one night.
We also would like to do some fishing for bass or any pan fish. This would all be bank fishing and my dads 82, so too much hiking is not a great idea.
Speaking of ideas! That is want I’m looking for...
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks!
Mike C

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
East of Springfield a little ways off Hwy 26 are some nice places on the McKenzie for fly fishing for trout.
Fern Ridge reservoir has some decent crappie on the south end along the Hwy towards Veneta.
Good luck, and I hope your Dad enjoys himself too!
Jamie

·
Registered
218 Posts
There is a flyfishing shop in downtown Eugene that will give you good advice and has a good selection of flies.

Within an hour of town there are many good places to fish the McKenzie. Good for trout and summer run steelhead at this time. I even caught fish in the downtown park right under the hwy 5 bridge at lunch time!!

good luck

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
If you want to spend the $$$ you could hire one of the McKenzie River guides for a driftboat trip...flyfishing for native redside rainbows (C&R) along with hatchery planter trout (just about the only moving water still stocked in Oregon). Many people keep a few planters for a riverside lunch cooked up by the guide.

Crappie fishing at Fern Ridge has been in the tank since 2000...don't bother.

A good C&R opportunity is the middle fork Willamette between Lookout Pt Reservoir and Oakridge...rainbow trout to 16" or more. Can be drifted or bank/wade fished in places.

And, there are good numbers of large cutthroat trout in the Willamette below Eugene...a drift boat show, mostly.

Lastly, the middle fork Willamette around Pengra (below Dexter Dam) has good numbers of summer steelhead...also mostly a drift boat show.

Good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input!
I plan on doing the McKenzie..
Also heard somthing about Fall Creek..
I sure was hoping for some Bass to though..
I read somthing about the Long Tom River below Fern Ridge for bass and panfish. Guess I will just have to do some scouting.

Mike C

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Don't forget about the middle fork of the Willamette. Trout fishing is very good without the crowds on the Mac. Also more friendly to fisherman accessing from the bank. Head up Hwy 58, make sure you are above Lookout reservour. There is a park on the right before you get to Oakridge. Check the regs for the Mac, believe it is catch and release. :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Fall Creek might actually be good to try as well. It will be stocked with hatchery trout and it also has some natives in there as well. You will want to fish the creek part of it above the reservoir, and do it early before all the swimmers get up there and spook the fish.

As for bass fishing your best bet would probably be Dorena Reservoir or any of the coastal lakes (Tahkenitch, Siltcoos, Woahink, Alder Dunes). Dorena is about 45 minutes south of Eugene and has a good variety of trout, bass, and crappie. The coastal lakes around the Florence area all offer great bass fishing but can be difficult to fish without a boat. However, I have fished from the banks of picnic areas from some of those lakes and have caught bass as well as trout and yellow perch. I would say Alder Dunes is the most bank friendly of them all and it is more like two large ponds rather than any kind of lake (I once lost a 4-5 pound bass there as it took me into a log after it hit my top-water bait).

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts